Should I knock it all off...?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

You all know how a small job turns into a big one. I started out wanting to re-wallpaper a bedroom, and, well, here I am in the plastering forum.
icon_smile.gif

After stripping the wallpaper I noticed a few big cracks in the plaster. The house was built in the 60s and I've noticed various spots in the house where the plaster seems a little crumbly, and assumed that I would need to get the whole lot redone at some point. I hoped I could fill the crack so started to make it bigger with a stanley knife, but noticed that it was just coming away in my hands. I then started to knock the wall in various spots and it seems that it's blown (I believe that's the correct term!) I removed a big chunk of it to expose the brick / breeze underneath, though it was only about 1cm deep (is that normal?) In terms of the breeze / brick...my understanding is that it's all breeze, and the brick section I think is a filled in chimney breast. I need to take away more plaster to confirm this. It does seem that the blown parts are mostly over the brick rather than the breeze.
Anyway, my question....I'd rather avoid pulling the whole lot off if possible. Should I continue to pull the bits that are clearly not attached to the wall? If so I thought I could "dot n dab" some plasterboard to the brick in the missing section, then smooth over the joins and finally wallpaper with some of that thick wallrock stuff. Or, given the age of the house, should I just bite the bullet and knock the whole room off? If the latter is the best option then I will be attempting to do the whole lot myself, so again, plasterboarding it all and then wallpaper on top.

IMG_20190910_131429.jpg IMG_20190910_131436.jpg IMG_20190910_131534.jpg IMG_20190910_131539.jpg

I await your years of collective wisdom! Oh and if you could speak in layman's terms that would be great, I'm an absolute novice when it comes to this type of thing!
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
working in the building trade i'm consevative - my firm or me dont want any going back on jobs so i would knock it off and after prepping with pva i'd have the wall(s) plastered and skimmed - ignore the packground.
you could use the room as an opportunity to learn to plaster - just knock it off if its not working out, and start again.
attempting to dry-wall might cause you more difficulties than just solid plastering?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back