Should i matt over filler patches nefore silk

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,,,i am about to paint my kitchen after doing quite a bit of filling and sanding to the walls,,,ive used tetrion filler around tje architraves as they were a right mess and there are some small bare patches of plaster im places where ive been sanding,,,should i go over the filler and bare plaster patches with matt emulsion first then silk after,,,wont it blister if i put silk on first,,,anybody,,,???
DSC_0750.JPG

Sponsored Links
As Nige F said... but thin the matt slightly first.

I always thought it wasn't good to put matt over silk ???,,,or is it ok if well sanded ???

Sponsored Links
in your case the main problem is that the absorbency of the bare patches will be greater than the painted ones, so the texture of the paint will look different. Apply a couple of coats of emulsion thinned with 20% water, it will quickly soak in and dry, then a couple of coats unthinned so the surface has a layer of paint on it. Then, when you paint the whole wall, it will have equal absorbency and the texture and reflection of the finish will not look patchy.

It's more economical to use matt white if you need to buy extra paint for this patching, but if it's just a small amount, the paint you already have will do. You only need to take the shine of your existing silk where the new paint will overlap onto it, a 600 grade wet and dry paper (as used for painting cars) is suitable and you need very little. Any coarse paper will leave visible scratches that will show throw when the light falls across it.

Clean the surface and remove all traces of dirt, grease and wallpaper paste before painting.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back