Should I register for VAT?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hiya guys

Finally went self employed and its official lol, but should I register for VAT?

I know the benefits are claiming back on tools and fuel etc, my turnover wont hit the £60k I don't think not this year but is it worth it just to claim back?

Any thoughts

Sponsored Links
I did it in preparation for when I evenyually did reach the 60k mark, there aren't any disadvantages to doing it either imo.

I think it is closer to 70k now.

If you are out of the loop i.e. all your customers are private, then there are few if any advantages. You just become a collector of vat.

But, if your material turnover is high and you are in the loop where you are amongst other vat registered companies then go for it.

I did it in preparation for when I evenyually did reach the 60k mark, there aren't any disadvantages to doing it either imo.
What amount of unpaid time does it take up :confused: . Have to admit I hate all paperwork , but nevertheless.......

Sponsored Links
Probably an hour every quarterly Nigel, if you have an accountant. I hate paperwork, I find the monthly contractors returns more of a pain, got my accountants doing those for me soon too ;)

i would say dont register yet, get used to the self employed angle first, watch your turn over, if it looks like you may get near the limit then register.
Also you'll be a tad cheaper to private customers as you wont be charging vat on labour. This will help in the first year or so

if your buying new van for the business it might be worth it anyway going vat registered ;) otherwise its quite a bit of work, all your accounts have to be kept well up to date. and make sure you put the vat money to one side, i keep mine in another account as i dont want it spent and be in the dire when you have to pay it :rolleyes: it has advantages for sure, but also drawbacks.

if your buying new van for the business it might be worth it anyway going vat registered ;) otherwise its quite a bit of work, all your accounts have to be kept well up to date. and make sure you put the vat money to one side, i keep mine in another account as i dont want it spent and be in the dire when you have to pay it :rolleyes: it has advantages for sure, but also drawbacks.

Correct..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back