Should I remove all plaster from chimney?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

In the middle of a house renovation. The plaster on the lower half of the chimney is blown. Is it worth just removing back to brick on the whole lot and starting over or could I just go for a repair job and remove only the blown plaster and then re-plaster and then skim the lot?

I don’t mind either way but ultimately just want to do the right thing and ensure a good, long lasting finish.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Is it definitly solid plaster not plasterboard?
if you can post a few pics it would help? show the front and sides and alcoves of the chimney breast from floor to ceiling.

Last edited:
Hi guys

Thanks for the response.

I do not intend to use this as a fireplace. I just want to cover it up and leave it be. Add in a vent of course.

And it's definitely plaster, not plasterboard. It's quite thick, a brownish colour. Looks like bonding or drywall.

Sponsored Links
I'll aim to get some pics. I'm not there currently but will be going later today or tomorrow and will respond.

being as there’s no fire going in , i’d chop it all off , batten and board nice and square and dry, making sure it’s vented.

Thanks Godwasaplasterer. Yes, my thinking was along those lines. I have the opportunity to do it now so why not. I was also thinking in terms of cost. But maybe faffing around with repairing could actually be more hassle than just a nice clean slate to work with.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back