Should I remove all these tiles before carpeting? (poss. Asbestos)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

So I have a solid cincrete floor in the living and dining room and the kitchen, the living room has all these tiles attached and alot of then near the lifting are crack or broken, question is , should I be pulling all these up? Or once the underlay etc is down there really no need before we carpet (long way of that yet lol)

Thanks
Mark

Attachments

• 15554087479352177576773713321302.jpg
    15554087479352177576773713321302.jpg
    149.2 KB · Views: 314
  • 15554087673834667551185298815455.jpg
    15554087673834667551185298815455.jpg
    235.3 KB · Views: 311
  • 15554087821564113391932922007659.jpg
    15554087821564113391932922007659.jpg
    202.3 KB · Views: 314
Sponsored Links
bricksmasher, good evening.

If these floor tiles are the old Thermo-Plastic they may contain Asbestos? have you had them tested?

Is the black material on the concrete a DPM? or just a black glue?

Ken.

Hi ken

Thanks very much for the reply

Oh dear, naively I had no idea these types may contain asbestos, I've listen quite alot up already in the dining area as they were coming up with the lino cork flooring which I wanted off. It's a 70's house too and I'm abit worried now

Sorry, what is DPM? It seemed like an adhesive I'd have guessed glue but came off very easily

What's the best action for me to take? Call and speak to the council?

Thanks
Mark

Oh dear, naively I had no idea these types may contain asbestos, I've listen quite alot up already in the dining area as they were coming up with the lino cork flooring which I wanted off. It's a 70's house too and I'm abit worried now
A lot of vinyl (Marlley) floor tiles and the adhesives used to lay them could contain asbestos right-up to the 1990s. Fortunately it is chrysotile, the least harmful form of asbestos, but the scrap/waste does need to be treated as a toxic waste, double bagged and properly disposed off (so not just in the bin)

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the above post, so I shouldn't be too worried that I've pulled alot of them up and likely dust particles in the air etc then? I've still got loads down to be honest

Thanks again

bricksmasher, good evening again.

Sorry if I scared you, but?

As JobAndKnock above, OK the tiles may??? contain Asbestos, the type of Asbestos in these tiles is no where as near dangerous as the other 2 types [Brown + Really dangerous "Blue"] Same applies for the Adhesives used at the time.

I hate to think how many hundreds of Square meters of these tiles I have seen being fitted, in Government offices ??

Suggest you contact your local Authority about disposal, as above probably double bagged in cleat polythene?? I for one have absolutely no idea what the disposal regulations as regards your Local Authority

As for DPM, a building based terminology for " Damp Proof membrane" meaning the layer that prevents moisture from entering the property, But as the "black" material on the concrete comes up easily, then it must be a relatively "thin film" that is not a DPM

Loads of information on this site as regards these tiles and i assume a lot of info on the Web.

How about you think about overlaying the tiles with a self leveling compound? that will negate the need to lift all of the tiles?

Ken

Thanks very much for the clarification

My brother in law is s builder and I just showed him and he said may as well continue pulling them up now but I'm not too sure lol

The black onon t floor is solid, I haven't tried pulling that black off, basically there was work tiles in the kitchen flue to the black floor

Then there was cork tiles glue on to the dining room, which was then glued onto the greyish tiles showed above so.insyarted pulling it all up thinking I was doing s good job

The living room is just the same grey tiles with the black concrete underneath

So if these great tiles come off easily without breaking maybe I should keep pulling them up and then getting advice on the removal of them in case of should.i send off for testing do you think? Thought the amount of dust in the air and amount of times. IIswept over them I'm not sure there's much I can ndo now

Thanks
Mark

bricksmasher, good evening again.

Suggest you have the tiles tested?

Why? because if they indeed do contain Asbestos then disposal and your Local Authority will kick in, the L/A will have a protocol which you will have to conform to, if you do not? then you could??? be prosecuted?

Ken

Damp down everything, double bag the rubbish, wear an FFP3 dust mask (e.g. JSP Force:cool: and DON'T use a domestic vacuum on anything as it will redistribute the fibres everywhere)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks so general advice is to go to the council then?

I guess my problem is there was furniture and sofas etc in the house when I was pulling them up so abit worried I've contaminated the place now already. Especially as I've been sweep constantly over the broken tiles because if dust and rubble from electrician chasing in the walls.

How would I go about getting them tested or the local authorities can help with that?

Thanks again
Mark

bricksmasher, good evening.

There are a load of test houses on the net, just pick one and see what they say about cost and how to het a sample to them.

Cheers.

Ken

Suggest you have the tiles tested?

Why? because if they indeed do contain Asbestos then disposal and your Local Authority will kick in, the L/A will have a protocol which you will have to conform to, if you do not? then you could??? be prosecuted?
It is an offence to dispose of asbestos to anything other than a licensed waste site, so yes, lobbing them in the bin could result in a fine were you to be caught.

Thanks so general advice is to go to the council then?
Sort-of. Your local council should be able to take correctly labelled double-bagged crysotile waste for disposal in a safe (i.e. controlled) site. My council does. They also sell the red bags they require and they charge about 75p/kilo but the minimum quantity is 50 kilos. See here for an indication of the sort of rates the trade pays

How would I go about getting them tested or the local authorities can help with that?
Not the responsibility of the council. For testing look-up "Asbestos Testing Services" but avoid labs based outside of the UK

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back