Should I reuse this slate on a membrane?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
20190709_105433.jpg
20190715_125742.jpg
I've pulled a lot of the weeds off this slate and was planning to reuse it on a new membrane. From photos you can see I've got most off but there are still a lot of leaves and bits when I rake it into a pile mixed in with slate. And raking it is hard work. Should I reuse the slate like this? Or take it all down the tip and put new slate there?

It's for Mungo Jerry's wife so that's why I'm doing it in the Summer Time

Sponsored Links
I would! Slate's quite expensive, esp when hit with delivery charges.
Is time a factor? You could remove as much as the weeds/earth to stop it coming back, or apply weedkiller and wait 3-4 weeks before reusing. You don't seem to have too much anyway on the second photo, you've done a good job!

I would! Slate's quite expensive, esp when hit with delivery charges.
Is time a factor? You could remove as much as the weeds/earth to stop it coming back, or apply weedkiller and wait 3-4 weeks before reusing. You don't seem to have too much anyway on the second photo, you've done a good job!

I was thinking about weed killer but they have a pet dog. It's impossible to get all little bits out too much and it will look a bit scrappy but I guess they're are no roots in soil just bits of root or leaf mixed in with slate It's hard going with rake as well, maybe a shovel?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I riddled mine when I moved some last year, it wasn't as bad a job as I thought it might be.

You mean yours had weeds mixed in with then when you moved them?
It looked a bit like yours, weeds, muck, sand, soil and shrivelled up leaves, Just riddled it with a fairly big holed (8mm dia) soil riddle,. Still had to pick unwanted stuff out but it made a good enough job. When it was moved, pressure washed it and it look as good as new.

It looked a bit like yours, weeds, muck, sand, soil and shrivelled up leaves, Just riddled it with a fairly big holed (8mm dia) soil riddle,. Still had to pick unwanted stuff out but it made a good enough job. When it was moved, pressure washed it and it look as good as new.

So you sieved it. Did you pressure wash it in the sieve?

So you sieved it. Did you pressure wash it in the sieve?
Aye, sieved is probably a better word for it than riddled - lol

I did try helping the process with the hose pipe but I was just making a mess, it would have been brilliant had I had somewhere for the water to run off to. But in the end just sieving it done the job, my main object was to get rid of all the dirt and soil that had built up over the years that was now giving a medium for the weeds to grow out of.

Pressure washed it after it was moved to its new location and it looked as good as new.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back