Should I round stair covering edges?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So after taking p a 20+year old carpet on our attic stairs, some of the wooden top steps are broken where they overhang.
So I have screwed them horizontally into the rest of the step and fitted 12mm ply over the top of all the steps.

Should I take these up again and rout the leading edge so it is rounded?
There is going to be a carpet fitted and I dont want the straight edge to affect teh carpet.

Recommendations?

Sponsored Links
so what you have is 11.5mm ply with a square edge on top off a roundnose stair tread ??
is the ply set back a bit or flush with the nose ??

Should be fine underlay with take off sharp edge .
i think you need a round on the front edge preferably as big as possible about 8mm [16mm radius] as broken nosing suggests heavy wear
but that will only work iff the ply is firmly affixed at the nosing rather than floating say 10mm from the actual tread front

Sponsored Links
if you don't put a big enough round on to the ply you'll end up buying another carpet sooner rather than later

i think you need a round on the front edge preferably as big as possible about 8mm [16mm radius] as broken nosing suggests heavy wear
but that will only work iff the ply is firmly affixed at the nosing rather than floating say 10mm from the actual tread front
Mines been fine with 12mm mdf to top of step .

so what you have is 11.5mm ply with a square edge on top off a roundnose stair tread ??
is the ply set back a bit or flush with the nose ??
Yes, its flush with the front of the step.

Its what it may do to the carpet that I'm worried about with corner - cheers.

Yes, its flush with the front of the step.

Its what it may do to the carpet that I'm worried about with corner - cheers.
assuming you cant remove the ply easilly the best compromise i can see at this stage is to thoroughly sand the top off the tread underneath to remove paint or give a key to the nosing and use a quality probably 2 part filler to fill in the gap after routering the nosing

I can remove them easily, I thought if needed I can setup my router in its little table and just whip them into having a rounded edge.

do you have an off cut off the ply ??
if so is it 12.7 or 11.5mm??
if its 11.5 will be cheap chinease carp with wafer thin outer ply
throw a say 50x50mm off cut in water over night and see what happens??

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back