1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Should I sand the ceiling before painting?

Discussion in 'Decorating and Painting' started by Stefania, 2 Sep 2021.

1. Stefania

Stefania

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hi,

After trying so many brands, I still didn't find the right paint for the ceiling. A friend recommended me to try Tikurilla Anti Reflex White 2 for my ceiling in the living room. I have a bay window and is coming in a lot of light. I painted last time with Crown Vinyl matt brilliant white and I can see roller marks everywhere and it dries so quick that I don't even have the time to lay it on properly.
    I am thinking to sand the entire ceiling before, but can you please advise me what sandpaper grit should I use?
    Thanks a lot!

2. Sponsored Links
  3. wzrd

wzrd

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Is it a newly plasterboarded/skim plastered ceiling? Was it primed properly? Surprised that you are seeing the roller marks. Are you pressing the roller too much, perhaps? I use 120 - 180 grit before painting. Make sure you remove all the dust before repainting. I always use dulux matt pure brilliant white and never had issues.

4. Stefania

Stefania

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I should have used Dulux from the first time but I was scared reading all the reviews on the websites. Yes, it was primed with a mist coat and after I put 2 coats of Armstead contract matt but it wasn't what I wanted and then I tried Crown. The ceiling is sucking so quickly the paint. Now I heard that this Tikurilla is very good for large ceilings so I will give it a go. It also good because is anti reflex.

5. Stefania

Stefania

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    It can also be the way I apply it, I don't know. Now I am also confused in what direction should I apply the last coat, parallel with the windows or perpendicular, probably is important.

6. Stefania

Stefania

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    This is the paint I used last time.

Attached Files:

7. Stefania

Stefania

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I took these pictures last night. You can see patches flashing everywhere because it dried so quickly that I couldn't even lay the paint on. But I don't understand why it's so absorbant.. it was grey plaster, it is an old building.

Attached Files:

8. Sponsored Links