Should I sand the ceiling before painting?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

After trying so many brands, I still didn't find the right paint for the ceiling. A friend recommended me to try Tikurilla Anti Reflex White 2 for my ceiling in the living room. I have a bay window and is coming in a lot of light. I painted last time with Crown Vinyl matt brilliant white and I can see roller marks everywhere and it dries so quick that I don't even have the time to lay it on properly.
I am thinking to sand the entire ceiling before, but can you please advise me what sandpaper grit should I use?
Thanks a lot!

Sponsored Links
Is it a newly plasterboarded/skim plastered ceiling? Was it primed properly? Surprised that you are seeing the roller marks. Are you pressing the roller too much, perhaps? I use 120 - 180 grit before painting. Make sure you remove all the dust before repainting. I always use dulux matt pure brilliant white and never had issues.

I should have used Dulux from the first time but I was scared reading all the reviews on the websites. Yes, it was primed with a mist coat and after I put 2 coats of Armstead contract matt but it wasn't what I wanted and then I tried Crown. The ceiling is sucking so quickly the paint. Now I heard that this Tikurilla is very good for large ceilings so I will give it a go. It also good because is anti reflex.

It can also be the way I apply it, I don't know. Now I am also confused in what direction should I apply the last coat, parallel with the windows or perpendicular, probably is important.

Sponsored Links
This is the paint I used last time.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210902-114526_Google.jpg
    Screenshot_20210902-114526_Google.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 59
I took these pictures last night. You can see patches flashing everywhere because it dried so quickly that I couldn't even lay the paint on. But I don't understand why it's so absorbant.. it was grey plaster, it is an old building.

Attachments

• 20210902_211107.jpg
    20210902_211107.jpg
    154.8 KB · Views: 94
  • 20210902_210751.jpg
    20210902_210751.jpg
    183.3 KB · Views: 95

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back