Should I use lime mortar for these internal bricks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey guys, I've recently knocked all the blown plaster off our chimney breast and discovered a few loose bricks than need re-pointing, just wondering if you can tell from the picture what type of mortar I should use?

I'm pretty sure it's lime, but if it is should I use lime or am I ok to use quick setting stuff like Pink Grip?

It's a double skinned victorian terrace with the exterior wall being engineered brick, I'm not sure what type of brick the internal wall is though.

IMG_4321.JPG

Sponsored Links
You should use a weak cement mortar. wet the bricks well, mix up some mortar to a butter like consistency (make it too dry, you can always scrape it off and re-mix with some more water). Make sure that the bag of pre-mixed mortar that it contains plasticiser, else add a squirt of washing up liquid. It gives the mortar the ability to ooze out when the brick is tapped down on it.
Frank

You should use a weak cement mortar. wet the bricks well, mix up some mortar to a butter like consistency (make it too dry, you can always scrape it off and re-mix with some more water). Make sure that the bag of pre-mixed mortar that it contains plasticiser, else add a squirt of washing up liquid. It gives the mortar the ability to ooze out when the brick is tapped down on it.
Frank

Thanks for you response!

Are you suggesting to use a cement mortar because it's an internal wall, and thus doesn't really matter if lime is used?

Absolutely, also you don't want to spend £20 on a bag of lime and a bit more on sand when a £4 bag of ready mixed stuff will do.
Frank

Sponsored Links
Do you intend to re-plaster the chimney breast or leave it as exposed brickwork?
Do you intend to open up the fire opening?
Have you swept the flue? Its necessary.
There are probably two flues in that chimney breast - one coming up from the floor below (that flue should be swept too).

Do you intend to re-plaster the chimney breast or leave it as exposed brickwork?
Do you intend to open up the fire opening?
Have you swept the flue? Its necessary.
There are probably two flues in that chimney breast - one coming up from the floor below (that flue should be swept too).

Intend to just dot and dab replaster. The flue has not been swept but the downstairs one has.

...personally, and I am no expert, my preference in this situation would be to use lime, but only if it's not a hassle to get hold of or too much more expensive - one option would be lime consolidation mortar - it's a premix for less than £7 a bag from Mike Wye - the problem is the cost of delivery!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back