Should My New Stairs Look Like This??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I hope someone can give me some advice before I go back to complain about this.

Just had a loft conversion and I'm generally pleased with the work, but some of the finishing seems rushed and lacking finesse.

Anyway, I am most frustrated by the stairs and the way the banister is connected to the Newell post on the new level.

It seems that the banister should go directly from the Newell post towards the wall, rather than the strange turn that has been fitted. There is space for the whole rail to be moved further out.

Can anyone think of a good reason for this?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I don’t think so & the only possible reason I can think it’s been done like that is that the newel post has been fitted too far over the top step (can’t tell from the photos) to get the hand rail into the centre as it should be without the sole plate overhanging the landing edge; but why the newel post was positioned like that, I’ve no idea, there may be a reason or it may just be a cock up; either way they owe you an explanation.

It appears to comply with BR's & is not dangerous but I would not be happy with it as it is, I think it looks naff!

Thanks for your response Richard C.

I agree it does look naff. The Newell post at the top of the stairs seems to be in the right place, and there is space for the handrail to be moved out, there is a large ledge left outside the spindles.

I think it is a cock up and I will be asking for an explanation :evil:

The newel post is in the only position it can be.

However, if you are asking as to whether the handrail should exit either face of the newel will depend upon how the spindle sole plate could be positioned relative to the remaining floor space available.

Sponsored Links
The newel post is, hopefully, fixed to the joist so, I agree, it's probably in the only position it could be! If it's a new conversion the landing overhang (from the joist) may have been made too short to accommodate the full width of the spindle sole plate, again can’t tell from the photos.

Just checked the spindle sole plate and there is the almost the entire width of the Newell post of floor, outside the sole plate to have positioned it in the 'normal' positon.

It looks like the Newell post is in the right place, you can check the angle of the bottom rail to the stairs underneath, (top and bottom) to check.

Can't see why the handrail just wasn't returned at 90 degrees from inside the post. As you say, if there is enough room!!

Thank you all for your responses

Just had the contractors on the phone, after I left a message earlier.

They seemed very reasonable and will take a look on Friday when they come back to building inspector visit.

I will let you know what happens :confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back