Should my surveyor have spotted this ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys

It turns out that two bricked up external doorways to our house have been bodged .... Poor pointing, possibly not keyed into surrounding brickwork and best of all ..... cement sacks used as a DPC !

We bought it last year and the survey didn't point any of this stuff out ....

Should this have picked up ? I'll try to get some piccies

Ta

Steve

Sponsored Links
It depends on the type of survey - ie was it something to be looked at, and if so whether the work was considered to be an issue or not.

A survey would not normally pick up cement bags as a DPC, or anything else as a DPC - how would you expect this to be seen?

Nor tying in of the infill panels - how would this be checked visually?

Poor pointing is subjective

The cement sacks are sticking out from the wall by about 30mm and there are cracks between the new brickwork and the original doorway

I'll try to get some pics

Sponsored Links
It depends what kind of survey you had.The basic ones are really just to confirm the value of the building rather than fault find

Nah it wasn't just the valuation survey. Its an old victorian place and a bit tatty so we paid for a decent survey - cost us a lot of money and now we find this :(

Might as well just wipe your arse with the surey report.

I certainly wouldnt pay for a more in depth survey again from a mortgage company.

I certainly wouldnt pay for a more in depth survey again from a mortgage company.

You should never have got a survey from your mortgage company in the first place - you should have instructed an independent surveyor

The cement sacks are sticking out from the wall by about 30mm and there are cracks between the new brickwork and the original doorway

Infill panels will crack - whether they are tied or not, and vertical cracking up the joint is not indicative of any lack of ties.

Bags sticking out of the DPC is not in itself evidence of the bags being the DPC

You only have a complaint if you have suffered a loss due the the surveyors negligence, not just because you think the work is bodged

But the question is, why didn't you see these things yourself, as presumably you would have had a look around the property you wanted to buy? Then you could have asked the surveyor to specifically comment on your concerns

Paper cement sacks or rubble sacks? Rubble sacks are made from heavy guage polythene and would certainly work as a dpc, though is it a bodge.

If you had a proper survey done (more than a valuation/homebuyers report) then you should be insured against this and be able to make a claim, however I doubt you'll get very far, but would be worth a letter, i made a claim on a guarentee once and they were more than happy to sort it out.

Hi guys

It turns out that two bricked up external doorways to our house have been bodged .... Poor pointing, possibly not keyed into surrounding brickwork and best of all ..... cement sacks used as a DPC !

We bought it last year and the survey didn't point any of this stuff out ....

Should this have picked up ? I'll try to get some piccies

Ta

Steve
steve was they blue circle mastercrete bags ,if so there be fine , check the label :LOL:

then you should be insured against this and be able to make a claim, however I doubt you'll get very far,

If the dpc isn't breached, and the wall hasn't/ is unlikely to fall down, then I'd have to agree

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back