Should Norman have gone to Iraq.........?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What do you think?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/4841480.stm

I think that it is commendable for someone to stand by their convictions -
but a 70+ yr old man putting himslf into this risky situation where there was a strong possibilty that he would have been kidnapped and more than likely subsequently beheaded (as has happened to others)......is a tad foolish IMO

Would it have been more appropriate for him and his group to organise peace seeking rallies here?

Sponsored Links
JulieL/B
all very good having your convictions an faith in your beliefs ...
but I think the daft old s*d should of stayed home ...

no shouldnt have gone. Bit ironic that he gets rescued by the military armed to the teeth and ready to use force. Not so worried about being peaceful then when youre being rescued!

He was foolish and naive however strong his beliefs were and he should not have gone there. All he did was put British and Canadian special forces in harms way to rescue him. No one want's to see anyone hurt but he was lucky he didn't get his head sawn off

Sponsored Links
Ditto. Wot a twit, we all know what an unstable region that is. And just to promote debate, do you think that Saddam was the correct ruler for the area, needs a bit of iron fist to get any respect for authority?

Its an offical Civil Warzone says the UN , but UK an US disagree an still say they have helped that country ,yeah right lol ...lol...lol...lol

As good as his intentions where, he still put peoples lives at risk, and has caused grief and worry for his family.

I think they are flippen mental any do-gooder who wants to go out there at this time. :eek:

spice
does that "do-gooder" comment include The Red Cross, aid agencies ..per chance

I hate the term "Do-gooder" what's the opposite? but agree that he showed no concern for his family and should not have been there, I think its funny how we are being told how wonderful the powers that be are to have rescued him' after all its been along time and only happened because they didn't kill him already, under the normal circumstances he would have had his head chopped off a long time ago and they would have failed to have got him out alive.

of couse he should of gone and i can name a few others who should have gone with him TONY BLAIR, BUSH, SECUREPARK ETC..........

Im in the mood for a good argument tonight just nipping off for the booze and i will be back............

B.O.B DOLE

you said that last post in John Wayne fighting talk .. I love it ..lol ...

*moz cracks a few cans an awaits the fireworks * lol :) :)

pickles said:
He was foolish and naive however strong his beliefs were and he should not have gone there. All he did was put British and Canadian special forces in harms way to rescue him. No one want's to see anyone hurt but he was lucky he didn't get his head sawn off

I think that he stated before he went that in the event of his kidnap he didn't want military intervention, presumably because he didn't want to put lives at risk. If he felt so strongly that what he was doing would do some good then it's difficult to judge him from our armchairs.

People go there for all sorts of reasons, many of them to make money. Why should a man who goes there trying to do a bit of good be less entitled to go than an arms salesman or an oil driller?

hermes, I take your point but he would know also would he not, that he wouldnt be left to die with no effort being made to rescue him?

Sponsored Links
Back