Should Sport relief have been X-rated?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I know there's a thread open on Sport Relief already but this is rather different. On Radio Newcastle yesterday morning I heard the news reader/disc jockey/presenter person bragging about how her children went to bed traumatised after watching Sport Relief. Time out here! Is that anything to be proud of? :eek: :eek: :eek:

I don't object to charities using hard-hitting tactics (unless they're advertizing taxis that is :evil: :evil: :evil: ) but let's think about this for a minute. Lot's of people make lots of noise about the need to shield young children from both the horrors of war and the joys of sex. That's why we have a watershed on TV and ratings on movies.

If Sport Relief had been a movie with some fictitious plot in which huge numbers of children died, it's a pretty fair bet that it wouldn't have been a U. It's also a pretty fair bet that the presenter person on the radio would have been complaining in no uncertain terms - and quite right too.

Rant over.

Sponsored Links
Does the presenter/DJ always let their children stay up till gone midnight?

The most hard hitting video clips where shown very late on.

Wrong station but it sounds like the sort of stunt Tony Horne would find hilarious. He's one thoroughly annoying runt I'd like to see removed from ANY form of 'entertainment' medium.

It of course depends how young, but kids should see the horrors of what is going on elsewhere...Otherwise what hope of change?

And if kids are 'de-sensitised', then as grown ups most won't care about who we help, who we don't, and why!

Our ten year old was indeed shocked by it, but thanked us for being able to see what was happening...

Another comment was questioning why it was happening when 'there are so many rich people around'...

Answers on a postcard?...

Sponsored Links
Freepost?

Sick of charities giving money away to other countries, keep it all here.

So when we slide far enough down the world economic list to need help (and it'll be sooner than you think), then it'll be ok to tell us to p*ss off as well?

Talk about not reading the meaning.
If WE had kept the money here, stopped a lot being taken out of the country we may have been in a better situation.

As it happens as WE have paid so much to others who then spend it on another countries products we should have our "dividends" back!

But back to the point, domestic charities should keep the money domestic.

First off, my apologies to whoever presents Radio Newcastle on Sunday morning because I got my dates wrong; it was Saturday morning (now edited). :oops: :oops: :oops:

snico said:
Does the presenter/DJ always let their children stay up till gone midnight?

The most hard hitting video clips where shown very late on.

The answer would appear to be yes! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: I worked late on Friday so I missed the first few hours. If the gruesome stuff was held back until after 9pm then the TV producers are exonerated. It was the attitude of the radio presenter that shocked me. She was just so full of herself, telling us how amazing it was that her "two little girls" had been "reduced to tears" and "gone to bed traumatised". :eek: :eek: :eek:

So when we slide far enough down the world economic list to need help (and it'll be sooner than you think), then it'll be ok to tell us to p*ss off as well?

I dont see ourselves as being the sort of people (apart from the dole cheats) that would just sit back and hold out our hands for freebies.

Freepost?

Think you are slightly missing the point of Sport Relief

The money is split 50/50, money goes to help people in this country, and to help (mainly) children abroad.

We are raising money to give these poor kids the VERY BASIC help, things we take for granted are needed over there. I cannot see a problem with that at all.

What we raise to help them, is tiny compared to the charities that are run to help people in the UK.

ellal said:
Another comment was questioning why it was happening when 'there are so many rich people around'...

And some of those rich people were presenting the programme! :!: :!: :!: Our other half had two observations to make on that:

1) Shouldn't it have been called Celebrity Relief?

2) (One of her regular gripes.) How much of their own money did some of those highly paid celebrities/sports people put into the pot?

On the second point, I'm not saying that they didn't - maybe they put a lot in - but we never seem to find out. :confused: :confused: :confused: Many years ago on Children in Need, Terry Wogan went around the studio audience more or less insisting that everybody divvied up but I never saw his own hand go into his pocket. :mad: :mad: :mad:

And I have a further two gripes of my own:

1) We were being asked to donate money to pay for swimming lessons for children in (I think) Bangladesh. Is that a joke? Can none of their parents swim either? Is there nobody in a densely populated country with lots of water that knows how to swim? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

2) We were treated to the sight of small children in India breaking up rocks by hand to make gravel for the construction industry. Are they telling me that they can afford to send a rocket into space - and they can afford a nuclear bomb - but they can't find the money for a b****y rock crusher? :eek: :eek: :eek: You couldn't make it up if you tried. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Freepost?

Think you are slightly missing the point of Sport Relief

The money is split 50/50, money goes to help people in this country, and to help (mainly) children abroad.

We are raising money to give these poor kids the VERY BASIC help, things we take for granted are needed over there. I cannot see a problem with that at all.

What we raise to help them, is tiny compared to the charities that are run to help people in the UK.

And these small children will be haveing their own children in about ten years, by the time they are 30yrs old will themselves have had 10 more mouths for us to feed, how old are you now? are you still going to be here in say 25yrs to feed these mouths? or are you going to pass the burden on to your children and grandchildren?

And another thing, if you keep giving handouts these people in 3rd world countries wont want to work and will just sit around watching tv all day, then where am i going to get my natural stone patio slabs from and how much are they going to cost?

To summarise, if you want me to lay a patio for you it's going to cost more while you also pay for someone to sit at home in India to watch tv. SIMPLES

I dont see ourselves as being the sort of people (apart from the dole cheats) that would just sit back and hold out our hands for freebies.
We already do...

On the backs of those appearing on the so called 'X-rated' footage!

ello ellal, We allready do????

Are you speaking for yourself, i hardly put myself in that bracket, although the building work is a bit quiet i've just done about 45hrs night work for Asda in the last 4 days.

Sponsored Links
Back