Should this be plastered?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks.
I've just had a new access panel fitted in the bathroom and I'm looking for advice on what the best method would be to prepare it for painting or possibly hanging new lining paper before painting?
Should it be plastered or would "filler" do?
I want it to look as good as possible.
Any advice would be much appreciated.
20140702_193726.jpg

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Thanks Steve.
Do you thing I should have it re papered or do you think it will be ok to paint over?

Thanks Steve.
Do you thing I should have it re papered or do you think it will be ok to paint over?
i thought your wall was painted plaster but you should still be able to be able to blend it in and paint it if your papers plain

Thanks Steve.
i thought your wall was painted plaster but you should still be able to be able to blend it in and paint it if your papers plain
It's just because some of the paper has been damaged/removed during the work.So I'm just wondering if I'll have to re paper it or at least patch it up with lining paper or if it will be fine to just get it as flat/smooth as possible and just paint it.
I'm just wondering if it will blend ok or if the parts without paper(ie plaster/easyfill)will stand out if only painted.
I'm a novice.
Thanks a lot.

If the edge of the paper to the screw holes is 3 inches or less, you could cover the whole mess with a frame of architrave, and paint the bit of plasterboard left showing in the middle.

Cheers
Richard

20140704_132025.jpg

I decided to have it plastered.
Does this look ok?I know I could just paint over the top of this but the rest of the bathroom has lining paper so ideally I would like to have new wall paper.
Could anyone advise how best to prime this for wallpaper or if not possible for painting?
I want it to look good/professional.
P.s the panel door isn't really a tight fit should I add silicone or something similar?
Thanks folks.

looks like a decent enough job you should be able to paint it this reminds me of a job i was on in a hotel i had to go round every room skimming the chases and patches into the wall paper once the painters painted it you couldent tell the difference , let it dry out then give it a mist coat then if there are any blemishes use easifil then give the patch another mist coat then go over the whole wall with a topcoat

looks like a decent enough job you should be able to paint it this reminds me of a job i was on in a hotel i had to go round every room skimming the chases and patches into the wall paper once the painters painted it you couldent tell the difference , let it dry out then give it a mist coat then if there are any blemishes use easifil then give the patch another mist coat then go over the whole wall with a topcoat
Thanks Steve.
If I was to have it papered what would have to be done to make it suitable for papering.There's already a lining paper on the walls but some of it is quite badly torn(at corners etc)it could be patched up but I want it to look as good as possible.It's only a small bathroom so we're only talking 1-2 rolls of wallpaper.
Some of the lining paper has the plaster work on top so obviously I wont be able to scrape it all off?
Any advice is much appreciated.Thanks.

Thanks Steve.
If I was to have it papered what would have to be done to make it suitable for papering.There's already a lining paper on the walls but some of it is quite badly torn(at corners etc)it could be patched up but I want it to look as good as possible.It's only a small bathroom so we're only talking 1-2 rolls of wallpaper.
Some of the lining paper has the plaster work on top so obviously I wont be able to scrape it all off?
you haven't thought things through if the rest of the papers knackard you should have taken it off and have the whole wall plastered any good decorator can sort that patch out and the rest of the wall

Thanks Steve.
you haven't thought things through if the rest of the papers knackard you should have taken it off and have the whole wall plastered any good decorator can sort that patch out and the rest of the wall
It was a bit of a rush job and the plasterer was only there to make good the mess of that access point.He did say I'll be able to just paint it but I'm thinking I'd like new wall paper.I'll leave it up to the painter/decorator to worry about/sort out.Was just wondering how best to approach it for achieving best results?
Thanks a lot!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back