Should this Joint be Mastic or have some Damp Course?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have moved in to a new home recently, and I have noticed that a garden boundary wall which adjoins the house brickwork, there appears to be no damp course in the wall, and also, no damp course between the garden wall and the house.

As you can see from the pictures, the joint is mortar. Since there 'appears' to be no DPC in the high garden wall, I would either expect the joint between the house and the garden wall to contain DPC, or, the joint to be made up of mastic.

I have looked at similar properties on the development, and the joint appears to be mastic.

Not being a builder, what would I expect between the walls if the garden wall has no DPC?

I hope I have explained this well enough.

photos >>

Garden Wall to the left >>
680A51FE-FFAD-4100-988A-6119A58F27BC.jpg

Garden Wall to the right >>
B5E38D24-E70A-4854-82D6-3AE86B2509DF.jpg

TIA.

Sponsored Links
It's cosmetic. A mortar joint will crack as you can see, but mastic will not show a crack. But there is no technical reason why it should be mastic. No DPC required either.

Do you actually have a problem, or just anticipate that you might get one.

Sponsored Links
What problem do you imagine could occur?

And don't say "damp to the inside" because that wont happen. The rain will hit that house wall just the same if that garden wall is there or not

What problem do you imagine could occur?

And don't say "damp to the inside" because that wont happen. The rain will hit that house wall just the same if that garden wall is there or not
In fairness I was concerned dampness may creep up the Garden Wall, and across to the house.

You have a cavity wall. Moisture wont get across the cavity - and it it does you have a different problem in any case.

What did the planning officer and building control officer say about it?

Looks like someone should be posting in the miserable old fart forum instead.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back