Wall height regulations

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good morning,

I am looking for some guidance re: building a garden wall and where to measure the ground level from.

I would like to build a wall slightly away from the boundary line on my own land in my garden but it will face my neighbours property. I would like the wall to run from my the end of my house down my patio and into the garden approx 13ft in length and 7ft in height.

My patio which is slightly higher than the rest of the garden where the proposed wall will be built. I would need to remove some of the patio in order to lay the foundations to build the wall so would the wall then become classed as a retaining wall?

As the wall will then come past the end of the patio and down onto the lower land of the garden where do I measure the ground level from? Would it be from where I lay the foundations of the wall which will be below the level of the patio? i.e Do I then measure the height of the wall from the base of first course of bricks I lay or from the higher level of the patio which it will adjoin?

Thanks

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Planning regulation height is measured from the highest ground level next to the wall, any side and any end, it don't matter, just find the highest ground point.

Planning regulation height is measured from the highest ground level next to the wall, any side and any end, it don't matter, just find the highest ground point.
Thank you but it's still not clear to me.
I have a raised patio so am I measuring from where the footings are for the wall which are below the patio and where I've started building??
Basically am I measuring from natural ground level of the garden?? As the patio has been put there

The ground level, of the ground around the wall.

Not your built up patio level or any other ground built up especially for the purpose of measuring off just to build a higher wall.

Sponsored Links
The ground level, of the ground around the wall.

Not your built up patio level or any other ground built up especially for the purpose of measuring off just to build a higher wall.
That's what I'm seeking clarification on thanks for that.

So am I right in saying that if I build the wall higher than 2 meters let's say 2.5 meters if I then after building the wall lay my patio next to it and measure from the patio level and the wall is then 2 meters from patio level that's not ok is it??

Thanks

No that's not ok
Thanks for this. I suppose for a wall that is over 2 meters in height built from natural ground level I would need planning permission then??

I was sure I did need planning permission but my gf's dad said the wall is measured where the patio height is... I guess that wouldn't be right though as you could alter a patio height to whatever you wanted really.

Forgive me but I'm still none the wiser on this matter. I have attached an image for clarification on where I am supposed to measure from when building a wall in regulation with the 2m height restrictions.

Am I measuring from patio level or garden level please as I'm getting conflicting advice from planning who say 'if you take up the patio build the wall then lay the patio back you measure from where the patio hardcore is to get the correct height'..

All very confusing and planning appear to be unsure themselves??!

Attachments

• IMG_20210511_172913_edit_99084947802067.jpg
    IMG_20210511_172913_edit_99084947802067.jpg
    184 KB · Views: 109
2 metres from existing ground level...not the hardcore! which would be made up ground, and certainly not from the top of the patio.

2 metres from existing ground level...not the hardcore! which would be made up ground, and certainly not from the top of the patio.

So for argument sake I put the footings in level with the ground/garden level I'm measuring from the bottom of the first block I lay then correct??

Thanks

So for argument sake I put the footings in level with the ground/garden level I'm measuring from the bottom of the first block I lay then correct??

Thanks
Why are you thinking like that? Just measure from the ground level o_O

foto_no_exif (3).jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back