Measuring roof height on sloped ground

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm planning to build a 3x3 extension to the rear of my detached property, looking directly at the house from the rear the Eaves are 2350mm and the Height 3350mm from the "ground level" which is currently a block paved patio, however, along the side of the property the ground steps down and slopes away to the front, the initial measurements assumed that the ground dropped 650mm at the side and was level so we would achieve the overall PD height of 3m to the eaves and 4m overall. The issue is that the ground slopes away so if the measurement is taken form the back of the extension it would be actually be higher than 4m. The sloping ground guidance is a little to fuzzy to me, where would a planning dept measure the heights from in this example, point A or B?.. or A for the eaves and B for the height? or would they just measure from the patio anyway?

upload_2021-9-6_17-18-18.png

upload_2021-9-6_17-19-42.png

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Your height is measured from "A".
Thank you, so I can stick to my "straight line" measuring and not worry about the slope then... assume that even if the slope dropped a meter and the total height at the back of the extension was then 5m from top to bottom it would still be classed as the 4m measured from the front height?

My problematic neighbour is going to be as disruptive as possible so I just need to make sure he won't have anything legit to hold me up.

Height is always measured from the highest point of contact of natural ground level with the extension.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back