Sloping ground-Rear extension

See image attached.

The house in question is painted white with the brown door.

Basically we are proposing to demolish the existing temporary extension and replace it with a 6m extension.

As you can see there are concrete steps leading down onto the lawn.

The proposed 6m will finish where the lawn is.

From the rear wall of the existing house to the lawn there is a 900mm level change.

At the front of the house i.e. on the main road side the ffl is approx. 150mm.

Now if i start to measure my eaves height from the lawn which is where the rear wall of the new extension will be and measure 3m up my internal ceiling height will be tight.

Can you please clarify as to what to do in terms of maximizing height and where i should measure from?

Many thanks to all that have replied.

Attachments

• IMG_20160429_142457.jpg
    IMG_20160429_142457.jpg
    297.2 KB · Views: 342
Sponsored Links
I would be grateful if someone can take a look at pictures and advise accordingly.

Many thanks

It's hard to say without being on site.
'Natural ground level' may lie somewhere between the ground level at the front of the house, and the lawn at the back.
This would be the case if the original builders built up the area at the back to avoid a 900 drop.
I suspect your natural ground level would be at the position of the red arrow on the attached sketch, and that is where the 3m eaves
Scan0015.jpg
height would be measured from.

Sponsored Links
If a 6m extension would not be approved if applied for, and if a 6m extension with a lower floor is more beneficial than a 3m extension with a level floor, then have a 6m extension carefully designed around the PD constraints. This could include a part vaulted or mansard style roof with no ceiling to deal with some of the height restrictions.

tony, that is exactly what i needed to do to allow my pd extension, but rather then have steps at the point where new met old, i took the floor down in the back room so the connected rooms were all same floor level.

Hi there,

I am going through a similar predicament, and I wanted t check what the outcome was at the end. I have a drop of 700mm and the extension will have an annoying entrance as the roof will be very low.

It would be great to know how you overcame this (if it was possible!).

Thanks!

Hi there,

I am going through a similar predicament, and I wanted t check what the outcome was at the end. I have a drop of 700mm and the extension will have an annoying entrance as the roof will be very low.

It would be great to know how you overcame this (if it was possible!).

Thanks!
In my case, i had approx 500mm underfloor space in the existing part of the house, so dropped the entire floor level down for the connecting room. This gives impression of a high ceiling, but nothing majorly out of place.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back