Should we have a second socket fitted?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a double plug socket into which I have plugged 2 4-socket extension cables. 6 of those available 8 sockets are used to power a PC, an X-Box, screens and speakers.
I am going to put a fridge freezer in this same room. Is it unwise to use one of the available sockets on the extension cables to power the fridge freezer? Would I be overloading this power supply?
If so, would it be advisable to have another plug socket fitted to spread out the load a bit?
Thanks in advance for your advice :)

Sponsored Links
With a fridge/freezer it is not the load which is a problem, it is the volt drop, every fuse introduces some volt drop, and cable also has some volt drop, and a single phase refrigeration plant needs to get to speed before the pressure builds up, so is susceptible to volt drop at start up, once running no problem, it is just the starting.

Three phase refrigeration plant does not have the same problem, and a lot of modern freezers are inverter drive so three phase motors so not really a problem with volt drop.

So most domestic fridge/freezers state do not use an extension lead. And main reason for this is to avoid volt drop.

Our supply is 230 volt +10% -6% and the ring or radial is allowed another 5% so 205 to 253 volt, it is very unlikely that the supply at the socket is below the 205 volt limit, (216 volt at the meter) so in real terms it is unlikely to cause a problem. I look at my supply now and see 1712405647542.png so well above the 216 volt limit, and look at power being used 1712405758290.png and this is about normal back ground use for fridges, freezers, and equipment on stand by, so for 98% of the time not a problem using extension leads, but we have no idea what your supply is like, you may be at the end of a lane running from a tapping off some farm supply.

Ideally I also need sockets moving so accessible, and more sockets fitting, you can get these 1712406133695.pngbut they also have a fuse in them, so just look neater, fitting a larger back box 1712406275565.png if on a ring can increase the number of sockets, but if a spur it may not help, using one grid socket you can include a fuse 1712406453116.pngto fuse down whole lot to 13 amp, but in essence no different to having extension 4 way sockets. Just looks neater.

But the first step is to find if existing sockets are radials, spur, fused spur, or ring final.

Plug one extension into the other. Plug the fridge/freezer into the now vacant socket.

Sponsored Links
We have a double plug socket into which I have plugged 2 4-socket extension cables. 6 of those available 8 sockets are used to power a PC, an X-Box, screens and speakers.
Which is (probably) a small load.
I am going to put a fridge freezer in this same room. Is it unwise to use one of the available sockets on the extension cables to power the fridge freezer? Would I be overloading this power supply?
Who knows?
Only a maximum of 13 A is allowed to be supplied via each BS 1363 "Plug" connected to a BS 1363 Socket-Outlet.
(There is a Fuse in the BS 1363 Plug, which should be rated at no more than 13 A, but, could/may be rated at less.)
The "supply" may be a Ring, (rated at 32 A) or it could be a "Spur" / "Radial" (rated at 20 A.)
If so, would it be advisable to have another plug socket fitted to spread out the load a bit?

If the Socket-Outlet is on the same circuit, apart from some "convenience", what would be the point?

You (and others) may enjoy in watching

where much is explained relative to North American "problems" with extension leads/power-boards but which also has references to UK "situations".

Possibly, you may see that the "fear" referenced in the Video is colouring your perceptions !

You (and others) may enjoy in watching

where much is explained relative to North American "problems" with extension leads/power-boards but which also has references to UK "situations".

Possibly, you may see that the "fear" referenced in the Video is colouring your perceptions !

Quite enjoyed that video.
Never really thought about how a typical extension lead could be so easily (and dangerously) overloaded in the US.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back