should you be sacked for mistakes

Softus said:
I don't think a ward could operate reasonably without access to a different, and controlled, store of drugs for the patients on that ward.

You're right. I'd forgotten the local drug storage area which I also pass every day. The cupboards are locked and alarmed.

This is the idea that I particularly don't align with - if a patient's condition is really that critical, then a doctor would be available to authorise, supervise, and, if necessary, administer treatment.

This is a radiotherapy department so it doesn't work in quite the same way as a medical or surgical ward. It's staffed mostly by radiographers and a handful of nurses, physicists and technologists (that's us). All our patients are critical but not in the conventional sense. Cancer kills slowly! On the odd occasions when a doctor is required the radiographers have to bleep one.

The trolley is for unexpected medical emergencies so nurses and radiographers must have instant access to its contents. I haven't got the slightest idea what's in that drawer. Nurses don't unscrew access panels from accelerators and I don't open drugs drawers. :) :) :)

Sponsored Links
hospital doctors are not readily available at all times. the junior ones are often half-comatose from long shifts and lack of sleep, the senior ones are often on the golf course, or seeing their private patients to earn extra ££££££.

At night there is hardly anyone around. on one occasion I was in hosp in a bad way, the person in charge of the ward had to get a doc up from A&E to prescribe me diamorphine. Presumably if he was busy with life-threatening emergencies I would have had to wait (even longer).

It was common to hear patients on epidurals, when they ran out during the night, calling for pain relief and being told they would have to wait until the morning shift came on.

All the regular drugs, incl injections, just come round with a nurse, no doctor in sight.

In another hospital I know, the staff nurses seem to take it in turns to put on the ward sister's tunic, as there is no-one of the right grade permanently assigned to that ward.

It was common to hear patients on epidurals, when they ran out during the night, calling for pain relief and being told they would have to wait until the morning shift came on.

Epidurals can run out during labour! The details are a bit hazy but I remember somebody (probably the anaesthetist) recommending a pethidine pre-prescription just in case. Nobody did it. No surprize there perhaps but it gets worse. When the epidural started to wear off it was me who pointed to the nitrous oxide cylinder. "I suppose we COULD try gas and air" said one midwife to the other as if this was a revolutionary idea. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

GRRINC
Thats what I say , the person who hasnt made a mistake is because he does F all.

So what about those who do 'F' all and STILL make mistakes ? ? ?

Oh yes, sorry - my fault ......

..... thats where we get politicians from :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Sponsored Links
so it an'it just the cops that bury there mistakes :confused: :eek: best get a local MP,on the phone so we can sack them :(

I forgot about this one! After my last heart attack I was getting daily injections in my stomach for about a week. I asked the nurse how long they would go on for, she didn't know, but agreed to check up. The result was that they were stopped immediately and should have been stopped after the first. Someone slipped up, but who cares, there were no ill-effects and during my stay I couldn't have been given better care.

I appreciate that had there been an adverse reaction to the 'extra' injections I would have felt differently.

Back