? Shower Cable size

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, nice to be on hear as im new to the fourm so Big HI to all.
I need some info of somone in the no how as ive just fited a triton Marbella 9.5 shower in my bathroom, tyeld all the wall first and plumbed into the cold water in the bedroom cubed where i keep me cloths as i have cold water pip form the bath in there.
i have come up the cubed wall and brilled a holl into the bathroom wall and plumbed in the shower.
? As siad the shower is 9.5 kw and i need to no if i can use wire that is for the main feed to the house as i have plenty for the job.
The wire is round armerplated in the midel of it and sez on it ELECTRIC CABLE 600/1000 V AEI BASEC on it , ? would this be ok for me to use as it is used for the main feed to houses and the consumer box's.

Thanks for eny info on this anyone can give me.

Cheers. P.C :?:

P.S I think the cable i have is 10.0mm 3 core SWA current rating 75 amps.

Sponsored Links
Ovakil wit SWA, itill B difecult 2 turminate.
get sum 10mm T&E.
And get sumone compitint 2 instaal it.
THIS IS NOTIFIABLE TO BUILDING CONTROL

M8 its allready installed well the pluming and the shower is on the bathroom wall with pull switch fitted as well, ? What do you mean by over kill if the cable can take the main feed to the consumer unit it should be ok for the shower.
By the way this is the second shower ive fitted and the other one i did use 10mm T&E only i have louds of the othere cable not doing owt that is y im asking if it would be ok to use.

Cheers.

If you can terminate it, you can use it, I recommend an adaptable box on the wall in the cupboard, directly behind the shower, terminate it with a BW25 gland, take the insulated cores and the oversheath through the wall and terminate it in the shower (you must not have singly insulated cores running through walls unprotected :cool: ), take a single earth as well, to the banjo to put the armour in series with the earth core to improve your Z's (you should be earthing the armour at the other end anyway, regardless of whether you use it to suppliment your earth core)

And are you sure its 10mm² to feed your CU, seems a little on the small side to me, I'd be expecting 16mm² or even 25mm²

Sponsored Links
Yes M8 its 10 mm cable allright. At my old house i was in the cable was the main feed to the consumer unit that run out side the house and along the outside wall into the kitchen by the back door and into the consumer unit, it is deff 10mm with metal strands in the middel of it 3 core.
What i was going to do was run the black 3 core solid cable from the CU to the 50 amp pole switch i have in the bathroom then from the pole switch i have some proper 10 mm shower cable to go from switch to the shower. ? doss this sound good or not M8.

If it comes to it and i ant 100% about useing the black armoured cable i will bye 10 meaters of proper T&E 10mm cable , only i have plenty of the black stuff doing nowt.

Cheers Chaps.

You cannot terminate the SWA into the "pole switch" (i hope you mean double pole). You need a metal adaptable box (though a plastic one would probably do)

And if your main feed to the house came in by the back door, how did you close the door?

:cool: :cool: :cool:

Ok m8 i mean by the back door and out of the wall into the kitchen lol, and yes its a proper pole switch ive put up a 50 amp one arso im going to bye some 10 mm T&E cable as well and do the job proper cuss if i dont i wont sleep at night .

Cheers m8.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back