Shower cable?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've had the shower pull switch burn out twice, the fuse hasn't tripped. I take it the cable (6.0mm) should be repalced to 10.0mm. My main problem with this, is the cable in there at the moment runs through the loft into a conduit down to the fuse box. I've tried to pull the cable out but it won't shift. Anyone come across this and how do I resolve this?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Bad connections at the switch can cause it to burn out also it depends on the rating of the switch and the rating of the shower.

A 9Kw shower is about the max for 6mm anything larger then it should be 10mm cable. A 9kw shower will draw approx 41amps and some switches although rated at 45amp are a bit 'dubious' Some makes of switches like MK for example , although dearer in cost are higher rated and obviously better quality.

As for getting the cable out of the conduit .... could be kinked or twisted round another cable (if other cables are also run in the conduit) I have in the past used 'talcom powder' or chalk to help pull cables thro' conduit, try putting some down it.

Sponsored Links
Silly question but I take it you disconnected the cables from the consumer unit before you tried pulling it up? You may have trouble getting talc down the tube; if all else fails, try Yellow 77. It's a teflon based cable pulling lubricant and works a treat if you pump the conduit full of it and leave it overnight (at least) to work on the cables (plug the tube at the board :!: ). You should be able to get it from most wholesalers. If you're getting through so many switches, try switching the shower on and off on the shower unit itself instead of using the switch. The pullcord is primarily an isolator not a functional switch, that may be why it's burning out so quick if it's switching a heavy load on a regular basis. I've currently got a shower isolator but I've never used it, I turn on and off at the shower unit.

I disconnected it from the consumer unit and tried pulling it from both ends but it ain't going nowhere. I've just got a Crabtree 50amp pull switch so hopefully that should do it. The shower is 8.5kw and I've got a 40amp breaker with 6.0mm cable, is that a good combination, or would I need to up or down the amps in either the breaker or pull switch?

Just out of interest, I thought you had to switch off the shower at the pull switch when you finshed using it.

Think of it like your kettle, how often do you use the wall switch as against the kettle on/off when you're making a cup of tea?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back