Shower Cable

Don't boilers act a pressure reducing devices as well as heating?

Don't think I've ever experienced the same pressure from a hot tap as I get at the cold one in the kitchen, and I definitely get a different flow rate between H & C at the bath taps.

Anything in your plumbing circuit will add resistance and reduce the flow rate (current eq) but not reduce the pressure (voltage eq). Combi boilers are known to have a slow flow rate because to get the water hot enough only so much energy can be supplied. The faster the flow the lower the temperature.

Sponsored Links
97dbb6e9c29bacdb7c418f4d0306ce58.gif

Your cowboy has obviously never heard of Google. Perhaps he should stick to rounding up cattle on horseback.

http://www.stuart-turner.co.uk/products/flomate/mains-boost/

Sponsored Links
Anything in your plumbing circuit will add resistance and reduce the flow rate (current eq) but not reduce the pressure (voltage eq).
The voltage analogy raises the question of voltage drop analogy when pipes conductors have resistance...

Flow will be reduced, pressure will not.

There will be a pressure drop across the boiler, no?

Or are you saying the water pressure at the boiler inlet and outlet is the same. If so, how do you get water flow through it?

Anything in your plumbing circuit will add resistance and reduce the flow rate (current eq) but not reduce the pressure (voltage eq). Combi boilers are known to have a slow flow rate because to get the water hot enough only so much energy can be supplied. The faster the flow the lower the temperature.

The flow is reduced because of pressure drops along the pipework and other restrictions. Much like adding resistors to a dc circuit, the voltage after the resistor is lower.

Let's say I measured the pressure at my cold tap in the kitchen, and recorded 1000kPa.

If I could miraculously obtain a piece of hosepipe 1000 miles long, connect it to the tap and then equally miraculously manage to lay it out on flat ground, how many people here think I'd measure 1000kPa at the far end of it?

Still struggling to understand how you can suck more water out of a supply than it naturally wants to provide.
Just as with the electrical analogy (Ohm's Law), the flow will be related to the pressure across the supply pipe. If you decrease the pressure (below atmospheric) at the consumer end, the pressure across the supply pipe, and hence also the flow, will increase, won't it?

When you talk of "what it naturally wants to provide", you are talking about the situation when the consumer end is open to atmospheric pressure. If you lower that pressure to below atmospheric, then things change, and flow increases.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back