Shower Cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was intending to fit a new 9.5kW shower. I took the cover off the old one to find that the wire insulation had melted and been repaired at some point in the past. I measured the old wire at 6 mil. Old shower is also 9.5. I reckon this needs a 10 mil cable even though the booklet says a 6 mil is OK up to a 12m run. You can advise on this please but my main question is: Is there any accepted method of surface-fitting a new cabel in trunking/conduit, in the bathroom? putting a new wire in the wall will obviously damage tiles etc.

Thanks,

Alex

Sponsored Links
We have floor to ceiling white tiles in our bathroom, so when it came to replacing the shower cable, I used white mini trunking from floor to ceiling, to the switch, then a bit from the ceiling to the top of the shower itself. Though i'm not sure if mini trunking is allowed, i've seen worse things done in shower cubicles. :LOL:

Sponsored Links
With a bit of care, you can remove the ties, chase in and replace the tiles, its what I did when I did the physical and plumbing installation of ours (didn't want to hassle the LABC with doing the electrical myself at that point!), took the ties off, chased in 25mm PVC conduit, made good and put the ties back, I actually got them all off without damage, however cleaning the old adesive off the back of some of them broke one or two (luckily we had spares)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back