Shower cable.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there, 1st time posting for me. I am replacing an existing 7kw electic shower with a 9.8kw electric one. Currently there is a 6mm core cable from the fuse box to the shower with a run of about six metres. Do I need to upgrade the cable to a larger one. Obviously it is easier not to, but would rather get it right

Thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links
Where and how is the cable run (clipped direct, in conduit, under insulation, in plaster etc)? What rating is the MCB on the circuit?

The cable runs under the floorboards until it has to pass through an 18" stone wall. From there the cable will be clipped up the wall behind a tiled panel to the on/off housing. It currently has a 30amp fuse in the box.

Hope that is helpful.

You will need to upgrade the cable o 10mm and your fuse with a 40A.
going by your 30A fuse size i presume you have the older "pull out" type fuses rather than the more modern MCB's?
I'd be wanting to fit a 30ma RCD or RCBO on this shower circuit so you may have to add an extra enclosure to accommodate an RCD if your existing installation isnt compatable.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the advice. You are right, I do have the older pull out fuse. I will definitely renew the cable and fuse.

Many thanks.

If your board has a 60A main switch, it will not be designed to take an individual fuse in excess of 30A

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back