Shower Circuit

Would you agree looking at the pic the feed cable is nearer 6mm than 10?
Yes.

I think the best bet is to fit an MCB of the correct rating and replace the damaged neutral connector block, with one of the correct rating again.
If the cable runs through NO thermal insulation NOR conduit a 40A could be fitted.

Seeing what damage has been caused to the connector block, due to a loose connection, overload or the combination of both, my worry is if the contacts on the MCB are in a similar condition, which may affect it's operation in the event of a fault or its integrity when used as a means of isolation.
It is difficult to say as they cannot be tested but frequent overheating may have affected it.
Although, as they are manufactured to operate as above it may be alright.

Sponsored Links
If the cable runs through NO thermal insulation NOR conduit a 40A could be fitted.

I'll try and trace the cable route, I know the cable comes through the ceiling in the bath room and then down the wall. The loft has got fibre glass insulation, if the cables clipped direct in air, I guess your saying were ok, but if it's surrounded by thermal insulation, refer to the table for the de-rating factor, depending upon length.

It is difficult to say as they cannot be tested but frequent overheating may have affected it. Although, as they are manufactured to operate as above it may be alright.

Well I'll get it replaced anyway 1. For piece of mind and 2. Just so it's fit for the intended circuit.

Would this work (replacing connector block and replacing MCB with higher rating) be reportable or need a Minor work cert? Just looking at Certification and Reporting (on-site guide) Appendix G2.2 it mentions

'Replacing circuit-breakers with RCBO's where there is a difference of over-current type'

Well I'm not not doing that so guess not?

Cheers bud

if the cables clipped direct in air, I guess your saying were ok,
Yes, or buried in the masonry is classed the same.

but if it's surrounded by thermal insulation, refer to the table for the de-rating factor, depending upon length.
Yes but remember you must not go below 40A with new mcb.

Would this work (replacing connector block and replacing MCB with higher rating) be reportable or need a Minor work cert? Just looking at Certification and Reporting (on-site guide) Appendix G2.2 it mentions

'Replacing circuit-breakers with RCBO's where there is a difference of over-current type'

Well I'm not not doing that so guess not?
All work requires a certificate (within reason)

Take the osg with a pinch of salt.
Here is the law.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2010/2214/schedule/4/made

If you find what you are doing then it is NOT notifiable.
I leave it up to you or it could lead to ten pages.

Ok i'll have a proper look at the job tomorrow. I'm not sure if this shower install was a DIY job carried out by the previous owner of my house or if this is an "electricians" work. I'd like to think it is a DIY job and nobody has been paid to leave it like this.....

Thanks for the link and all the help so far!

Good night

Sponsored Links
Often you find showers on 4 or 6 milli cable with no RCD on a 30 or 32A device. They started life as a 6/ 7/ 7.5kW shower but got upgraded by a plumber without any thought as to the rest of the circuit.

It was most probably just a shower upgrade by the home owner who knew no better.

seeya.gif

Cheers for the input securespark.

It was most probably just a shower upgrade by the home owner who knew no better.

seeya.gif

Well whilst I was hoping this was the case, I'm starting to think otherwise. I've had a look in the CU this afternoon, to see if extending the neutral cabling is necesarry, or if with a little thought and time whether it can be run a different way, avoiding using a terminal block.

Fortunately next to the consumer unit there's some trunking, that runs along the top into a junction box and then another piece running out the top and up into the ceiling.

I've took the cover off the trunking and saying it's cramped would be an understatement. I've took the cover of this junction box ( which is nothing more than a twin gang patress with a blank on the front) and it's "chocker" full of chock block (sorry, couldn't resist). I wished I'd left the lid on.... Non of them are taped up (personally like to see them taped) and even worse there's bare copper exposed on everyone. It's just a short waiting to happen....

Anyway fortunately my shower cable is joined in this junction box. Not sure why the installer didn't take the time to make a proper job of it in the first place. But with a little bit of new trunking and it's own junction box it'll be more than long enough to reach the MCB, earth and neutral rails.

Well I thought I'd give everything a check tighten before popping the cover back on and found a few loose connections on the earth and neutral rails.

I'd seen a topic on here yesterday regarding RCD Test button issues. With this in mind I thought mines got to be due a test. And you guessed it, it failed to trip (this is with the main isolator now and a few circuits)......

Whilst I feel comfortable doing the shower job I'm starting to seriously doubt all the electrics, so think it might be worth calling a spark in and getting a PIR carried out.

Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back