Shower cold water feed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can i use a self cutting fitting to tap into the bath cold water pipe, to feed an electric shower?

Sponsored Links
If you have very good mains pressure you might get away with it, once cut you will probably be left with about a 6mm hole rather than a 15mm pipe to feed the shower. In a perfect world T into it properly ;)

Better to turn the mains off and put a tee in. If you can't turn the mains off you could be in trouble oif something goes wrong!
But an electric shower only draws 4 litres/minute, so a tiny hole will normally do. The hoses aren't much bigger than 6mm!

okay thanks for that, one more question, is there any major reason not to use the plastic poly pipe stuff to connect to the shower inlet, provided i make sure theres no leaks and stuff before i plaster over them? iv used plastic push ons for other stuff and so far so good..

Sponsored Links
Nothing wrong with using plastic pipe for this application.

However, take care when coupling onto the shower - the spigot on many electric showers is marginally too narrow to make an adequate seal using a push-fit connector, therefore you have to use a brass compression fitting on one of these.

Read the manufacturer's installation instructions thoroughly and do exactly as they say.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back