Shower cubicle in mobile home

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello. I have just been asked to quote for something that is a new one on me. A gentleman living in a mobile home wants his bath replaced with a walk-in shower cubicle (he is elderly and can't manage to climb into the bath easily). Immediate problems I see are:

The floor and walls seemed very flexible, as you might expect in a large caravan on wheels (his description, not mine), and I am concerned that movement might be a problem. The floor in particular seemed to 'bounce' as I walked on it.

Space is very limited. The maximum width between wall and toilet is 63cm. All walls are plywood apparantly (if not plywood, certainly something similar, covered in wallpaper) so part of the 63cm would need to be used for making walls water-tight.

Hot water pressure is almost non-existent (no height for tanks), although cold from the mains is good. The cold water tank is tiny so a pumped shower would likely drain it quickly. First thought was a Hydrashower but have never fitted one so don't know if they actually do what they say on the box.

Has anyone fitted a shower in the situation I describe, and if so could you provide some advice (or warnings!) please. Is the "flexibility" of the home a problem? Can cubicles small enough be obtained? Do Hydrashowers do the business? Any other major technical problems that I haven't thought about? I would like to help the man out but if the whole thing is a non-starter I would prefer to tell him that rather than start something that isn't going to give good results.

Sponsored Links
UUUUUgh! there have to be easier ways of earning a living! You could use one of the Triton pumps which goes on the wall between the mixer andthe shower head. They give a shower where it wouldn't have been possible otherwise, but nothing vigorous! If by Hydrashower you mean the ones where the cold sucks the hot through, I believe they're "OK" but haven't fitted any. Case for calling the mfr fo a chat I think.
The shower tray would be a real p[roblem though I think. You could use the techniques employed in a Wet Room, and the most flexible of tile fixatives, but I wouldn't fancy making the enclosure up - you're going to need some very narrow panels. Maybe a screen at the side of
his bath would be better?

Many years ago I lived in one of these and suffered with a shower the previous occupant had installed. It was awful, the original tiles that had been glued to the plywood walls with pva fell off as the wind blew. I replaced these with mosaic type tiles on mesh, success in that department.
Leaks around every joint were another thing though, As you have noticed, everything flexes and wobbles in these sheds on wheels. The eventual solution, after trying ever type of sealant whale blubber was 360 degree shower rail and curtain inside the cubicle. I made the rail myself from a length of yellow mdpe scrounged from the Transco crew down the road. These days they seem to be in fashion and are expensive bits of chromed tube.
Would a curtain arrangement solve this chap's problem, assuming you can get the tray of a firm enough base.

If the mains pressure is ok, is the electric supply up to an 8.5kW electric unit?

Thanks for the responses.
The man wants a low-level shower tray because he can no longer climb into his bath, so I don't think a bath screen will help him.
Hadn't thought of curtains all the way round - I will discuss this with him if that ends up the only realistic solution.
Will also check the power supply.
Anyone know a source for tiny shower trays? That aren't too heavy for a caravan floor?

Sponsored Links
laminate type water proof board is becoming more easily obtainable and is an alternative to tiling.

Also pre-cast complete shower enclosures are available but expensive. Perhaps there is a fibre glass shower enclosure made for caravans and boats ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back