Shower extractor fan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, got a very old 3 pin fan that's screaming, changing it to a newer one. It runs from a pull switch but the wiring is strange.....to me anyway :)
The newer fans just have 2/3 connections so I'm stumped, any ideas?
Probably best to get a sparks in me thinks. Just curious.
Pic attached

Resize_20221106_093358_8143.jpg

Sponsored Links
I'd guess one of those black wires is being used as the switched line. Are there any markings on or under the white connector? Looks like it unplugs. Be aware there will be a permanent live on one of those terminals even when it's switched off. If there are no markings then you are going to need a multimeter unless someone recognises the model..

Mark those wires so you can identify them later.

Whatever you do, don't mix up those two blacks, or connect them together.

Sponsored Links
Cheers guys, can't see any writing above the red but I guess it's live :) then I have a N then I have a T. So I guess Neutral and Timer?

Or Neutral and switch live? Is there a certain type of extractor I need?
Thanks again.

Show us some pics of your entire fan, and measure the duct diameter, and I'll show you one that is better, quieter, and uses less electricity.

Did your old one turn on with the light switch, and continue running for a period after you turned the light off?

How high is it, above floor level (accurately)?

See also

Well I didn't think it did....but then I popped it back up checked the pull switch and it worked very loudly. Then I tried the light switch pulley and as it was about to click in the fan made a noise, but we have been using the light and it hasn't been coming on... obviously knackered....so the conclusion is yes it should come on with light
Compress_20221106_134303_3434.jpgCompress_20221106_134302_2982.jpg

This is the best 4 inch one I know
Surprisingly expensive but it is also sold under their other brand name (same company)

Buy whichever you find cheaper.

You want the one with the "T" suffix which means it has a timer

If by any chance your duct runs through the loft and is accessible, you can fit a ducted inline fan that is much more powerful. Otherwise you would need a bigger hole for a bigger fan to get more power.

The one I linked is IP45 Rated so it can be used in zone 1, but the height is important. Measured from floor level.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back