Unusual extractor fan wiring?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Yes another extractor fan thread, but I have checked all previous posts and none seem to match my circumstances...

I'm in the process of replacing a timed extractor fan in my bathroom with a newer model.

The bathroom has a swtiched fuse outside above the door, a pull cord switch inside, a light, and the fan.

Upon removing the old timed fan I was suprised to see so many wires. There are two cables running to the fan, and each cable is 3-core (blue,yellow,red) and bare earth. So eight wire all together. These were wired into a choccy block on the old fan but there wasn't much in the way of a wiring diagram on the old fan to say what was what. I wrote this info down as best I could and then promptly lost the note. oops :)

After I removed the fan I insulated the end of both of the cables that ran to the fan. I found that the light could still be operated via both the pull cord and the outside fused switch.

I'm now trying to fit a new timed fan. Unfortunately I don't have the instructions (yet... they were missing from the box but I have requested replacement) - but I can tell you that there are only three connections - L, N and T - I assume L and N is live and neutral and T is the switched live?

Anyway, even when I get hold of instructions I'm not sure they will help as I don't think they will explain why I have two sets of 3 core cable.

Can anyone advise how I should wire up the fan?

Sponsored Links
you are right bout the L+N. the T would be a live from the light to say the light was on, and the L+N power to operate the fan after the live from the light has stopped. its strange how you have 2 3C+E cables instead on 2C+E

Check to see if one of the 3C+E cables is always dead when the power is on and the lights are on/off. Maybe it used to be daisy chained to another fan...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back