Timed Extractor Fan in Toilet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My old Timed Extractor Fan in Toilet has given up the Ghost and I have fitted a vortice model but not yet wired it up.
Original wiring was done by Electrican many years ago, it consists of fused and switched socket, ceiling pull cord, two cables both with Live and Nuetral wires, all went to old fan, fan started 3 minutes after ceiling pull cord was pulled, when the ceiling pull cord was pulled again, fan ran for a further 3 minutes.
The new fan say's that I need a Multi-Polar Switch (i presume that is what I refer to as ceiling pull cord). The wiring diagram shows only 3 wires 1 Live, 1 Nuetral and 1 Live to timer.
My question is which nuetral wire do I use?
Thanks
Hardley

Sponsored Links
Multi-polar switch is not pullcord.....Unless you have a TP pullcord switch. It's a triple pole isolator...

Post some piccys to clear up the confusion.

Sponsored Links
securespark said:
Multi-polar switch is not pullcord.....Unless you have a TP pullcord switch. It's a triple pole isolator...

Post some piccys to clear up the confusion.

The ceiling fitting has 2 in connections (Live & Neutral) and 2 out conections (Live & Neutral) the out conections only come alive when the pull cord is pulled and the red light shows.
The other Live & neutral are alive all the time once the Fused Socket is switched on.

Chivers7 said:
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7553 eleventh post down.

(Electrician probably didn't have any three wire cable so ran two twin and earth instead??)
No old fan instructions definatley said 2 twin cables, no earth required.
Live to live. second live to timer and 2 connections for the 2 neutrals.
My problem is new fan only requiers 1 neutral and I do not know which one to do away with. There is not enough room in the neutral connector to put 2 neutral wires in, so I cannot go down that route.
Many thanks for everyones suggestions.
Hardley

Hello,
Just checking, but have you checked that the replacement fan is of the same type ?, (as in the type (v) and model of your new extractor is suitable for the position you are fitting it, within the zones ).

Sorry, I have just re read the post and you seem to have two points of isolation for the one item of equipment, not good. :( .

Ed.
:eek:
Secure, this 'multi polar' term, is this correct ??, or only for 'ranges', with a degree of protection from the cold ? ;) :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back