Shower fairies!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
... came and fitted an Electric Shower in my bathroom :LOL: , I am sure they were Competent fairies! :!: Anyway, I was just sitting here thinking about all the extra things that have been done to the house since it was built and wondered wether my mains supply was big enough, as you do! The Main switch in the CU is 100A, but I had a peek a boo outside and the Fuse thing near the meter the one with the security tag on has a 60A sticker on it?? Whats that all about? Is it likely to be the wrong sticker? Why would the CU have a !00A when the outside fuse is only 60A? When I go and turn that shower on am I gonna pop that fuse out there? If so what do I do? Or rather how do I get it uprated? Especially given the fairies didnt leave a cert behind when they finished?! Or is that irrelevant? Any help appreciated, thanks.

Sponsored Links
A 60A fuse is quite common on even large houses. Company fuses are quite accomodating of modest or short-term overloads. the Main switch must be rated at or above (never below) the main fuse rating.

If you run your all-electric range cooker and the electric shower at the same time as all your electric heaters it may possibly burn out. If it does, call the supplier and they will replace it quite quickly, and may increase it to an 80A if it seems like a good idea.

The electricity supplier is generally not responsible for the consumer's installation and doesn't care much if you burn your house down through your own folly.

We had a 60A fuse in our old 2 bed terrace.

Mrs was taking a shower, I was making a cuppa, a few lights were on and the TV was on. POP!

I thought it was a power cut until I checked with the neighbours!

Called my supplier and they came round within a few hours and fitted a 100A fuse instead - even though the rest of the installation was a mess!

Sponsored Links
don't worry about it, if it blows call the DNO and they will come and replace it FOC. Chances are you'll never overload it to the point of it failing and it will probably out-live you!

You are a very fortunate person...very few people possess the gift to be able to see fairies let alone get them to work for you :D
Your cut out fuse will be fine I am sure. They dont blow very often

I know of an installation with two 10.5kW showers.

The cutout is a 30A BS 3036 :eek:

(It's never blown BTW)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back