shower fan help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi...

Ok I know how to not electrocute myself. I want to install a shower extractor fan. And wire it in to the light to it works when the light comes on. Is it hopefully as simple as installing and the just wiring it in to the light???? Or do I need some help?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
How to do it is described in the WIKI at //www.diynot.com/wiki/Electrics:fan

The type of fan, and other requirements will depend on where in the bathroom the fan is to go. If it is inside Zone o,1 or 2 then this is notifiable work. Thos type of work has to be notified to the local authority before work starts (costs you £££). Or use a registered electrician (probably less ££ for a small job like this). Zones are described also in the WIKI at //www.diynot.com/wiki/Electrics:bathroom_zones

But if a new circuit is not being installed, existing one(s) do not have to be upgraded.

Sponsored Links
In the Introduction to the Wiring Regulations it says

Existing installations that have been installed in accordance with earlier editions of the Regulations may not comply with this edition in every respect. This does not necessarily mean they are unsafe for continued use or require upgrading.

Surely any new cable/equipment is new and not existing, therefore required to be compliant to current standards?
What does section 701 say, concerning circuits entering a room with bath/shower?
This bit
701.411.3.3 ADDITIONAL PROTECTION BY RCDS
All circuits must be protected by RCDs. A single RCD may protect a group of circuits.
And then we could have a look at what the manufacture's instructions say, with regards to the methods used and the the protective devises that should be in place.

I would put common sense and safety before an interpretation of the regulations.

230 volts in a fan
condensation in a fan
standing on chair to clean the front of a fan
holding on to a pipe to steady one's self while standing on the chair.

I would like an RCD on that fan supply no matter what the regulations say ( suggest )

But on the other hand the shock and muscle contractions before the RCD cuts the power would likely cause the person to fall and suffer injury. And oh dear, the lights have gone out.

Nothing is clear cut

sarcasm said:
of course if the pipes were not bonded the shock would not happen

Surely any new cable/equipment is new and not existing, therefore required to be compliant to current standards?
Yes.

What does section 701 say, concerning circuits entering a room with bath/shower?
This bit
701.411.3.3 ADDITIONAL PROTECTION BY RCDS
All circuits must be protected by RCDs.
If you are not installing a circuit you do not have to comply with the regulations which apply to circuits.

If you were replacing a light switch in a bedroom and that circuit also supplied the bathroom lights would you think that you'd have to put the circuit on an RCD?

1) we are in a bathroom not a bedroom, the requirements are different.
2) we are not swapping/exchanging/replacing, but adding to a circuit.

Section 701, plainly says all circuits within this location require RCD protection, there are no ifs/buts.

1) we are in a bathroom not a bedroom, the requirements are different.
But you're working on a circuit supplying a bathroom.

2) we are not swapping/exchanging/replacing, but adding to a circuit.
OK. Let's say that next to the bathroom there is a separate WC, and you install an extractor fan in there, adding it to the lighting circuit which also serves the bathroom.

Do you think that you'd have to put the circuit on an RCD?

Section 701, plainly says all circuits within this location require RCD protection, there are no ifs/buts.
And the introduction plainly says that there is no requirement to bring existing installations up to the current version.

I've never seen anybody here express any view other than that the regulations are not retroactive. Why do you think they are all wrong?

I see it the same as adding a socket to and existing circuit.
BS7671 states the socket and any cable buried less than 50mm within a wall that does not have mechanical protection, requires RCD protection.

The circuit exists we adding to it, it is the same.

I see it the same as adding a socket to and existing circuit.
BS7671 states the socket and any cable buried less than 50mm within a wall that does not have mechanical protection, requires RCD protection.
Indeed it does.

If you don't add any new concealed cable, and add an RCD socket then you have complied with the regulations WHICH APPLY TO THE WORK YOU HAVE DONE. You would not be required, in a situation like that, to add RCD protection to the entire circuit because it didn't already have it and did already have concealed cables and sockets.

The circuit exists we adding to it, it is the same.
If you ADD to it then your ADDITION has to comply.

If you are not ADDING a CIRCUIT then you are not required to comply with regulations which apply to CIRCUITS.

I've never seen anybody here express any view other than that the regulations are not retroactive. Why do you think they are all wrong?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back