Shower fan switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, any advise to a keen DIYer would be appreciated.

I have fitted a shower cubicle in the corner of my bathroom which measures approx 2.4 by 2.5m. I want to fit an extractor fan above the shower to pull the steam away during showering, the fan I was going to fit to the ceiling almost above the shower. I don't want a fan which comes on when the light is turned on, only when manually turned on when the shower is in use. I am therefore thinking about a wall plate switch to turn it on and off when needed. The switch would be located just outside the cubicle. With a 20 or 30 minute delay on the switch all that would really be needed would be a button to activate the shower then it would run until the delay runs out. Does such a switch exist for a bathroom? For the isolator I could fit it to the ceiling or can the isolator be located in the roofspace above the bathroom? Does the fan switch need to be a pull-cord or is a rated wall plate version available?

Thanks guys.

Sponsored Links
I guess what I am looking for is a wall mounted momentary switch to suit the extractor fan.

Why don't you just buy a shower with a timer and wire it to a normal rocker switch or switched fused connection unit located outside the bathroom zones.

Hi riveralt,
What is a shower with a timer? Mine ia a a remote controlled mixer shower on a high pressure system not an electric shower, if that matters.

I'm thinking of a wall mounted button (momentary switch) to activate the time-delayed extractor fan. Isolator switch in the roof space.
[/img]

Sponsored Links
Hi riveralt,
What is a shower with a timer? Mine ia a a remote controlled mixer shower on a high pressure system not an electric shower, if that matters.

I'm thinking of a wall mounted button (momentary switch) to activate the time-delayed extractor fan. Isolator switch in the roof space.
[/img]
Yes sorry about that - too earlier in the morning or too late at night......
I was or should have been talking about your extractor fan.

The normal approach would be to utilise the extractor fan with a timer linked to a standard switch through either an fused connection unit and/or a three pole isolator - once the you turn the switch off your fan will continue to run for the preset time.
Cannot see any value is adding a 'momentary switch' other than it costing more to provide the same results.

The normal approach would be to utilise the extractor fan with a timer linked to a standard switch through either an fused connection unit and/or a three pole isolator - once the you turn the switch off your fan will continue to run for the preset time. Cannot see any value is adding a 'momentary switch' other than it costing more to provide the same results.
Agreed that would be the normal approach. I suppose the potential 'value' of adding a momentary switch (about £3, I think) is that it removes the need to remember to switch the fan off (assuming it's manually controlled by a 'standard switch', rather than lights-activated). As you say, either way the MI will probably call for a 3A FCU, if not also a 3-pole isolator.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back