Shower fittings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking at this shower fittings, I felt the hot and cold water pipes are too close, worried for nothing or I should be concerned?
Appreciate your input.

Sponsored Links
I would be more worried about the inaccessable push fit connections you have half way up the wall (when its tiled) what happens if they leak ?

what about the millions of push fit connectors buried in wall/under floors in every new build house you see? If assembled and tested (and the twist lock used in your case) they are guaranteed for 25years (Hep2o for 50)

Sponsored Links
I would prefer to run to shower valve in copper and joint by solder ring fitting if buried in wall.

Push fitting are not to be buried in wall.

Daniel.

Why? Can you advise what they are for? surface pipework??

Im not advocating encasing them in plaster but they certainly can be in walls

Inside stud walls, flooring void is fine.
Buried in brick, breeze block, plaster and concrete/screed floor are not ideal. Plastic pipe with no push fit is fine for buried.

Daniel.

what about the millions of push fit connectors buried in wall/under floors in every new build house you see? If assembled and tested (and the twist lock used in your case) they are guaranteed for 25years (Hep2o for 50)

I don't want my plumbing to leak in 25 years' time. I'll be mumblety-nine and too old to get the tools out to fix it myself.

I don't want my plumbing to leak in 25 years' time. I'll be mumblety-nine and too old to get the tools out to fix it myself.

Your unprotected copper pipework will have rotted and pinholed before the speedfit will have given up :LOL:

Now where did I put the denso tape - oops, might come to a sticky end.

Thanks gents for your input really appreciate it.
While the debate has taken a sligtly different turn (preference) I am somewhat relief that my initial concern (pipe so close) did not get mentioned.:D

Reading above posts suggest that its not a foregone conclusion that option chosen in the photo is the wrong choice and like newgasinstaller pointed out that if the kit is assembled and tested (the twist lock used in your case ???) they are guaranteed for 25years. To be fair to the chap who has done the work, he has been testing the system for last 10 days so I guess I can be reassured that all is in order.

If you are burying them in plaster or concrete the guarantee won't be worth squat as it clearly states not to do so in the MI's.
http://www.johnguest.com/Home/literature-downloads/UK-Literature/DIY-Installation-Manual.aspx
page 6.
Not trying to **** on your bonfire, those fittings will probably be fine as they are and never cause a problem, but if John Guest are like any other company they will find any reason to wriggle out of a claim if a problem arises.

it says dont BURRY!!

The reason being the plaster can push the release ring letting the pipes release if the fitting is encased. You can board over them!

Why would they bring a product the the market that had to be accessible!!

"hello welcome to your new Barratts/Bellway/Persimmon home, dont mind the 200 access panel to reach all the hidden push fit connections that you will never have a reason to!!"

:rolleyes:

Do you put access panels into all compression fittings too? Seen a lot more leaks on those than push fit...

http://www.tradingdepot.co.uk/DEF/product/!!MD300EFB!!/

Lets look at this... A bar mixer bracket made by Aqualisa (make some of the better quaility showers) oh whats that on the connections... Oh is push fit connections made by (lets look closer...) John Guest, wait dont they make speedfit??

So unless they want you to put access panels in the tiled shower room or halfway up the adjoining wall I would say they can go in the wall....

AND IM DONE....... THUD (sound of my mike hitting the floor)

:LOL: :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back