Shower installation base

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello peeps.
I'm doing a DIY shower & the tray instructions call for a mortar bed on the plywood. As the bottom of the shower tray is flat & it's going on marine ply what's the point of this? Would I build in any problems if I did without it?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Hello peeps.
I'm doing a DIY shower & the tray instructions call for a mortar bed on the plywood. As the bottom of the shower tray is flat & it's going on marine ply what's the point of this? Would I build in any problems if I did without it?
Thanks

Is the floor, and therefore the marine ply, absolutely level? If not, the mortar bed will enable you to level the tray.

Cheers
Richard

Thanks Richard. The ply will be level, I'll make sure of that. Any other reason for mortar?

These trays can be not very flat on the bottom and the mortar is to support areas that do not come in contact with the floor and could crack with weight in them.
I have in the past used a couple of tubes of silicone instead and have never had a problem with using this instead.
Make sure your ply base is as level as you can get it and that will be half the battle.

Sponsored Links
Thanx one cog (sounds like my bike!)
What size bead of silicone, distance between beads & setting time do you suggest please?
Thanx.

Not sure what tray you've got but Mira recommend silicone or mortar.
Stick to the MI's and you will have a comeback if anything goes wrong with the tray.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back