shower mixer tap with three water inlets

Reaction score
Country
United States
I live in the US now in Western NY but I've lived in Britain from the end of the sixties to the beginning of the eighties just up to MT arriving on the scene. Anyway, I recently bought from the amazon UK site a shower mixer tap that I fancied 'but' I've never seen one that had three water inlets. The pictures of this at the amazon site didn't have a 3D view, just the front, a single handle mixing tap with the hot and cold inlets on the top and the shower hose outlet on the bottom. I get that.

On the back however, is a third inlet that also has a flow or possibly pressure reducer that came with it. In the documentation its called a butterfly valve that adjust with a screwdriver. In the US all the water lines are pressured about the same for the hot and cold sides. The hot water side might be a few pascals higher but generally the expansion tank would compensate for that. Anyway the mains pressure is anywhere from 40 to 50psi at any given time (I have a gauge) The Stiebel Eltron docs only say that if your WH is larger than 30 liters in capacity (mine is 80 l ) then connect it to the back inlet (?) so..would that be a 'split' hot water supply because of volume(?) that doesn't seem logical. I know that this particular model was designed to be used with open hot water tank systems and cistern pressures, but it is also rated at 1 MPa. so I don't see a problem. Would you say then it's one hot line to the top and back and one cold to the other top inlet?. The tap moves in three directions so when pulled back as opposed to front and back, there is more volume, I assume because the mixing is all done with the front and back motion of the tap. When there is a demand for more volume that's when the back side opens up. If you want to see a picture of this it is a MED designated configuration for low pressure systems, model 232609.

Anyone know the reason for this back entry to the mixing tap? Is it just for more volume? Environmental regs now restrict shower heads to under two gallons a minute anyway, not so bad with plenty of pressure and temperature.
Stiebel Eltron MED shower config 12-23-18.jpg

Attachments

• Stiebel Eltron shower sink mixer tap 12-23-18.jpg
    Stiebel Eltron shower sink mixer tap 12-23-18.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 223
Sponsored Links
Never seen one of these before and the instructions are terrible but it looks like the cold is supplied from the rear inlet then one of the pipes on top of the valve supplies cold water to a water heater and the other pipe is hot back from the heater.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back