Shower mixer ultra sensitive. Feeds reversed?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am having trouble with a Victoria Plum shower which has a manifold similar to THIS. The symptoms are a small adjustment of the temperature control produces a massive swing in temperature. It is just possible to achieve a comfortable temp by micro-adjustment but it's not very steady.

It has not worked properly since it was installed a couple of years ago and has had very little use as a consequence. Our water is soft and scale-free. We recently had the house's water system upgraded with an unvented cylinder which gives excellent pressure on both hot and cold. I have tried cleaning the cartridge and immersing in vinegar, as they suggest, but no improvement.

As a last resort I am investigating the possibility that it was installed wrongly, with hot and cold feeds reversed. This has not revealed anything useful as there is definitely hot going to the stub marked H and the converse. However, the marks look like they were done with a felt tip (I cannot see any factory-stamped marks), so there is always the possibility that the plumber marked them incorrectly. It does not help that the unit looks perfectly symmetrical, so could have been fitted upside down.

The Victoria Plum installation guide (see HERE) describes a method of correcting reversed connections by turning the cartridge. However it doesn't make sense on two counts:

1. I cannot see a "52mm AF clamp nut". The only visible nut is the main one that seems attached firmly to the body of the cartridge.

2. There is no such thing as a "52mm AF nut". AF means "across flats" and is always given in imperial units (inches or fractions thereof).

Furthermore, if THIS is the correct cartridge (it looks identical) its width at the widest point shows as 47.6mm so there cannot be a 52mm nut.

Can anyone shed light on this or offer any suggestions? I don't want to spend £150 on a new cartridge only to find the pipes were reversed!

Sponsored Links
If this is a thermostatic controlled shower mixer then I doubt they are reversed because if they were reversed it would be impossible to control the temperature other than fully hot or fully cold.

If the water coming out of the mixer is colder than the required temperature then the thermostat will further close the cold inlet and further open the hot inlet. With the connections reversed opening the hot inlet will allow more cold water through the mixer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back