Shower...my options..?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

Will be soon moving in to propery which I will be doing the bathroom.

I'd like a decent shower but unsure of my options and need ideas.

Currently has a 8.5kw shower, due to the extremely hard water and just being a electric shower, it's pretty crap.

House had cold mains only to bathroom on ground floor, no cold water tank.

It has a hot water cylinder on the first floor, this has a combined cold water tank (on top) to fed the hot water tank, can't remember the type. This feeds hot taps only.

Price will be factor of course, so options.

Bigger electric shower.. Not keen.
Fit a cold water tank and go gravity pumped..
Pump the hot only, use mains cold and a balancing valve? Not sure if it will work.
Fit a heat plate exchanger to boiler and use mains hot.

What you people think?

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
cost to run electric shower. ching

cost to install break tank and pump. and run hot water store for years to come. ching

install modern efficient combi, pay only for what you use. profit.

do you catch my drift? I'm not trying to say your absolutely wrong but I do hope you can see my logic.

Sponsored Links
i like those showers, they work surprisingly well..

however i dont think they work on mains cold + gravity hw.

maybe a venturi shower? Ive never fitted one personally...but they are designed for this scenario

oh the trevi boost...

I have fitted only one, and it worked but it was awkward to get right, the pipe sizes have to be right and the water temperature has to be high enough.

but when the conditions were right I thought it did a pretty good job.

I'd go trevi boost providing your mains pressures ok, But not on a combination cylinder.

What about something like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ft5fsHQy-Wg&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Im sure I could do this, only thing that worrys me is the delay in hot water warm up time if the boilers been off and cold, ie in the summer.

From turning on the shower, the boilers got to heat the water in the boiler, (which wont be to bad as will be close to the boiler) pump it to the plate exchanger, transfer it to the hot water and then flow to the shower.

how big is your boiler then? plate hex will need 20kw min for something midly average/poor. Venturi shower has has to be the easiest and cheapest option

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back