Shower niche waterproofing?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'm renovating my bathroom and have a false wall for the concealed shower made from 12.5mm cement board. I've also made a small (200 x 300) shower niche from cement board, glued with Sticks like Sh*t, and am mounting this in false wall.

Question...what the easiest way to ensure the joints are water proof prior to tiling? I'd rather not blow ~£50 on some Mapei aquadefense for such a small area..

Many thanks

Paul

Sponsored Links
When you say cement board do you mean Marmox, Jackoboard, Wedi etc or do you mean Hardibacker, No More Ply? If it's Hardibacker or No More Ply then both these manufacturers recommend tanking in wet areas. If it's the others then I would ensure all joints are taped using waterproof tape before tiling. Also make sure you have a fall on the bottom shelf so that water drains out of the niche.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back