shower not draining quick enough. can't get the trap out/off

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi :)

having problems with my shower not draining quick enough, basically you end up standing in a few inches of water whilst showering, it isn't far off the top of the basin.

up to now i've put it down to hair and gunge etc, but after trying 2 unblocking solutions (which improved it slightly for a time) i decided to remove the front facia and try to remove the trap so i could give it a good clean.

this is where my problems start, when i unscrew the bottom of the trap there isn't enough clearance for me to remove it, is this normal or a gash job carried out by the installer? also the waste pipe coming off it has no clearance to remove that either.

P1040112.jpg

P1040110.jpg

things is i can see into the trap when i remove the strainer from the plug, and there doesn't seem to be anything in there to block it. could the blockage be further down the line somewhere?

the shower does kick out a lot of water is the pipe/plug hole size insufficient?

the house is a new build and we've been in about 10 months, i'm beginning to think there may be something else causing it.

any help or advice is greatly appreciated, many thanks for your time

Sponsored Links
that convoluted lash up of pipes could be something to do with it - :cry: New Build :rolleyes:

I'd try a plunger. I hope that tray doesn't require a bed of weak mortar to sit on. :eek:

that convoluted lash up of pipes could be something to do with it - :cry: New Build :rolleyes:

what would you recommend then Nige? could i cut that extra gubbins out and replace with something simpler?

I'd try a plunger. I hope that tray doesn't require a bed of weak mortar to sit on. :eek:

a weak bed of mortar, can you explain this a bit more please ajrobb? the showoer is on the first floor if that makes any difference. there doesn't appear to be any blockage in the trap, would the plunger work if the blockage is further down the line?

also should i be able to remove the trap or is it normal to have no clearance?

thanks for the replies guys :)

Sponsored Links
Well it the shower fitter got the trap on, you should have been able to get it off.

couldn't he have fitted it to the basin, then fitted the basin in place though?

unless the whole thing unscrews from the plug hole above?

a weak bed of mortar, can you explain this a bit more please ajrobb?
I've just taken out a shower tray and there was a sticker on the base saying it MUST be installed on a weak bed of mortar. It wasn't. Yours has ribs, which mine didn't, so could be different.

a weak bed of mortar, can you explain this a bit more please ajrobb?
I've just taken out a shower tray and there was a sticker on the base saying it MUST be installed on a weak bed of mortar. It wasn't. Yours has ribs, which mine didn't, so could be different.

by the looks of it it just sits on the legs, it feels very secure anyway.

That's a mira tray and it's fine just on legs.

To remove the trap take the section that you have removed from the centre of the waste in the first photo. Turn it upside down and use it to unscrew the trap. It should then be loose enough to remove.

You will need silicone to reseal it when you put it all back together though.

If it has always done it from new though I'd say it was a problem with the pipework.

Ted

great thanks for that, i did try knocking it round with a screwdriver but it wasn't doing it any good so didn't go too far.

does the pipework look sufficient for it to drain ok? also the way its setup would that cause any probs draining, would it be better to go directly from the trap down the waste?

when you say problem with the pipework can you advise on what that could be? or is that a how long is a piece of string type question:-/

many thanks for the reply mate

The pipework in the photo looks ok, but if it is backing up there might be a problem further on down the pipework.

Have you been in the house from new and has it always been like this? You say the shower is good, have you measured the flow rate from it? I have seen some showers simply throwing out more water than the waste can keep up with.

Ted

I personally would get a nice direct run from the waste outlet to the pipe under the floor - but it means cutting out the flooring - if it`s chipboard it could be chewed out with a chisel given the clearance to the shower tray. if it`s not you could cut the elbow off the waste where it goes through the floor - glue a bend on and go from there - even a flexi waste would be better - in my opinion - because it`s one gentle bend not 2 tight elbows .

to be honest i think it has never really drained properly but the wife reckons it was fine when we moved in.

one thing i can do is to try and simplify the pipework as you have suggested Nige. would it need to be glued? or could i get an elbow with unions at both end? or is this a no no?

i was thinking i could rotate the trap so it was facing the waste pipe as it goes through the floor, then cut out the extra pipework and add a simple elbow so it goes straight down the waste. something like this (rubbish paint effort sorry)

trap.jpg

would that work do you think?

many thanks for the replies again guys its a big help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back