Shower pull switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Wanted to replace switch as current one is faulty. Purchased Crabtree 2167 Ceiling Shower Switch 50a as it was recommended elsewhere and the fact the it states there is loads of room to take upto 10mm cable was a bonus. However I am struggling to get the cable from the shower to the unit inserted into the terminals as the cable diameter is so large. I can get the feed inserted no problem. Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
The feed and cable to the shower should be the same size, so if one goes in then so should the other.

Often you have to "dress" the cables, ie strip the ends and bend the conductors so they will then just pop into the screw terminations.

The feed is what I assume to be 6mm and the cable from the shower is noticeably larger, 10mm. I think?
When you say "dress" the cable I'm guessing you mean more than just stripping off the outer covering?

Yes, put a dog leg in all 4 conductors so they line up with the terminals. Then it should be a simple job.

If the spec says 10mm then you should be able to get it in there!

Sponsored Links
That's what I did to start with and couldn't get them to fit. So I removed everything and tried a "test" fit by just trying to push the cable ends straight into the terminals to make sure I wasn't imagining they wouldn't fit and I still could not get the cable into the terminals :mad:
Whilst dangling from a step ladder the cable from the shower does look physically too big to fit in the terminal hence my method above and my post on here.

That was going to be my next job. I take it I need to measure the diameter of the individual cables within the grey sleeve?

You need to measure the (total) diameter of the copper core in L or N, then you can work out the cross-sectional area.

Individually.

It's 10 square millimetres - 10mm².

However, if it won't go into the terminal then it's too big.

Have you fully unscrewed the screw?
Are the strands bent and splayed?

cross-sectional-area = (diameter / 2)² x π

I think it's time for a photo. Those Crabtree switches are amongst the easiest to terminate and will take upto 16.0mm² conductors. I'd be amazed if your wiring was this size, let alone bigger.

Maybe a silly question but have you unscrewed the screws in the terminals to fully open the cable entry.

Don't unscrew so far that it falls out.

Yes the screws are screwed all the way out and yes it did fit the old switch. Will revisit it at the weekend and make sure I'm not missing something. Will take a picture too if I can't work it out. Thanks for the help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back