shower pump connection gone wierd

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a 3bar pump in the airing cupboard which powers 2 showers. It has been installed for 6 years. It has always been noisy but ONLY when the shower is turned on (same old, same old). BUT since we have had an extension built and the plumbers turned off the water etc in the early days, the pump comes on whenever we turn any tap on and off in the house.
Its really irritating. :mad:
I don't think these plumbers know what is wrong and I really need help from the forum please. :confused:
The reasons given so far from these plumbers is 'it's air in the system' or 'its the vibration from water in the system switching the pump on'.
They have nearly finished their job here now and I have a terrible feeling that its not going to be sorted! :rolleyes:
Hopefully you guys can help please?

Sponsored Links
Yup.
Non return valves in the pipes from the pump to the shower would normally stop it.

Thanks Chris.
But I am confused as to why we did'nt need non return valves fitted for 6 years and now we do?? :confused:

They didnt branch off one of the pipes that supply the pump did they? Or perhaps the flow switches are getting a bit over sensitive in there old age and didnt quite appreciate the drain down.( especially if a bit of silt from the tank made its way down the feed when it was filled back up)

Either way, plumbing is a quirky old thing; a NRV should sort it. Some pump manufacturers generally recommend using them anyway.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for all your help. Talking to the plumber yesterday, it seems that the shower pipes have been blanked off and so he thinks air is in them. When the new shower is tested and the pipes have been reconnected etc, we will see if that sorts it. If not, we will take your advice and get some NRVs fitted. Thanks.

OK. Coincidence time.

A Salamander pump that I fitted a few weeks ago has been having a few problems. It has stopped firing up until about 5 minutes after the showers have turned on. It ends up that the NRV are restricting the flow on the hot side, and the only way to get the flow switchs activated is to turn the shower to full cold first ( where there are no NRV's ). I spoke to Salamander today and the guys there said it should be ok to remove the NRV. Guess what happened?? Yup - now whenever another tap is opened, the pump fires up for a second or so. Bummer.

sierracsierra said:
Talking to the plumber yesterday, it seems that the shower pipes have been blanked off and so he thinks air is in them.
Clearly that would cause the problem you've been seeing.

It's a bit odd to be trying to solve a problem when your plumbers are still working there and haven't finished the installation yet. :confused:

grrinc said:
whenever another tap is opened, the pump fires up for a second or so.
Has the pump been provided with dedicated supplies, as per most MIs?

Softus said:
Has the pump been provided with dedicated supplies, as per most MIs?

Yup. On top of that, it is Samander pump who are one of the most strictest ( anal ) about correct installations. Anyway, I spoke to them today and they are sending me their own NRV to resolve the issue. The problem I had was 'hunting' and the NRV they are sending me has a very lose 'gate' apparantly.

Sorry to hijack your thread sierracsierra, but this could be relevant to you too. :)

Small update. The NRV Salamander sent me was indeed a very lose one that sat between the pump impeller and the flexi. It did the trick!!

No probs grrinc! As you say, your posts and replies could be quite helpful.
I'm pleased yours is sorted.

Softus:
It's a bit odd to be trying to solve a problem when your plumbers are still working there and haven't finished the installation yet.

I don't have a lot of confidence in these plumbers. Reasons: Pipes postioned outside the kitchen sink unit and not in it, despite me showing them a line on the wall where back of units sit. Pipes set in ground too shallow. Toilet fitted annoyingly skew. Outside tap overtightened to straight and so thread sheared off. Shower pump problem. Noisy rad in cloakroom where they changed pipes from mini microbore to standard dia pipes. Plumber having major strop cos I asked him to move a radiator!!
He has'nt forgiven me since! :cry:

To me this seems like it should be basic stuff to a plumber.

Why don't I sack them??......because the guy (Mr Stroppy) who runs the company is best pals with the building director of the company who have almost completed our extension. Because the extension is nearly complete now (after 8 months), I hope that end of next week the plumbers will sign off the job and I can wave goodbye to plumbers, builders, chippies etc forever. Cos you can bet your bottom dollar I aint never going to have any building work done ever ever again!! :evil:

My new motto is: if you want a job done properly do it yourself.
Especially with GREAT forums like this one to help! :D

Regards and no offence meant to any good, efficient and honest plumbers out there!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back