Shower Pump Feed from Top of Hot Cylinder - Drain to Disconnect?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Attempting to replace a dual shower pump, which has been plumbed to serve one shower (cold feed from a CWST) and three mixer taps (cold feed from mains).

The hot feed to the pump inlet is taken from the top of the top of the hot water cylinder via a copper tee, the other side of which is the overflow feeding back into the CWST, as normal. There is no stop tap or isolation valve on this hot feed to the pump (the tank side outlet/discharge with stop tap is capped) - do I need to fully drain the hot water tank before taking off the connection to the pump, or not as it‘s a vented tank? Pictures attached for reference.

Attachments

• DEE23BFE-0F58-4763-846B-41718911F66F.jpeg
    DEE23BFE-0F58-4763-846B-41718911F66F.jpeg
    225.2 KB · Views: 60
  • 26F070ED-01D8-4A9E-86A8-EAC36C493370.jpeg
    26F070ED-01D8-4A9E-86A8-EAC36C493370.jpeg
    177.4 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I assume that I can just isolate the cold flow into the cylinder to stop flow out of the cylinder (assuming nobody turns a tap on)?

No, shut the cold supply from the CWST to the cylinder and open d/stairs hot tap. There may (should) be two cold water outlets from the CWST, one to the HW cylinder and one to any gravity fed taps and the pump cold water supply, shut both.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back