Shower Pump - have I done something wrong?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, went out to a leaking overflow today - found to be coming from a fortic indirect cylinder - isolated the supply to the ball-valve via a ball-fix valve that was only serving the ballvalve, changed the washer and seat and turned the water back on, jobs a good-un, valve shutting off properly, so on my merry way

but an hour ago I got a call from the tenant saying her shower pump wouldnt turn off? - didnt even know it had one? - anyway off I trot like the good plumber I am :rolleyes:
Cant hear anything in the bathroom till she says I'll have to switch it on!
anyway to cut a long story short...

a cursory glance told me it was wired via the boiler programmer and set to recieve a supply when hot water was called for? - not wired into a fused spur - anyway it started as soon as she flicked the switch even though the (bath filler with shower attachement btw) was turned off
Tbh it sounded like a bit of a diy job - she said a plumber had fitted 6months ago but the husband later said it was only a month old :eek:
At that point they both started carrying on threatening fire and brimstone, so I just walked out

So.... If there anything I've done that could have caused the pump to not turn off? - I didnt even drain the fortic etc, just isolated the supply to the ballvalve for a quick washer change?

Sponsored Links
and no doubt the overflow will be going again in the morning :evil:

can't see from your description you have done anything wrong

where is the cold feed to the shower taken from ?

if as you say it looks like a diy botch they could be trying it on ;)

Sponsored Links
oh its deffo a botched job - who in their right mind puts a shower pump on a fortic and then wires it to work only when the hot water is on via the programmer ;) - I'll be honest, I didnt even look at the pump under the bath, I just looked at the wiring, a fortic cylinder....

Sorry love, get the plumber/husband back to deal with it - I just wanted to be 100% sure when the gaffer asks me in the morning what I'd done and if it was anything I could have done
btw this is an housing assc house, so they shouldnt have got it done anyway without asking permission off the landlord - cant wait to see their faces when they get a bill for the call-out :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back