Shower Pump Help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

I am currently confused as to what pump would work as a replacement in a flat. It us currently running off a bristan varispeed 50 4150052 which is 1.5 bar, i have attached photos. It is a one bedroom flat, which consists of a bathroom (shower/bath, toilet & basin) next to the airing cupboard which stores the cistern/HW cylinder and the pump but also a kitchen with a basin.

Am i correct in saying this is a twin pump running on a positive head system? If so would this work as a replacement seeing as there is only one shower room and rarely outlets are used together at the same time?

https://www.screwfix.com/p/salamand...RNL6mXwRxV1hNvr0EcBoConYQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Thanks for your help!

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2019-08-21 at 14.43.09.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2019-08-21 at 14.43.09.jpeg
    186.4 KB · Views: 399
  • WhatsApp Image 2019-08-21 at 14.43.10.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2019-08-21 at 14.43.10.jpeg
    334.5 KB · Views: 454
Sponsored Links
yes it's an old twin impeller designed for a positive head system.

The one you linked to should replace it yes. You will have to alter pipework to get it to fit though.

You will have to alter pipework and make sure EVERY THING Is as per salamanders instructions Cus they will find any little installation defect to void their warentee should you have any problems

Thanks for your replies.

Read that about the warranty etc so will take extra care!

How do you mean alter pipe work? Because the outlets/inlets are in different positions? If they are flexible hoses would they not slot straight on?

Sponsored Links
Flexis are designed to make life easier and give you some leeway, but cannot be put under too much stress or you risk failure. Looking at the way the flexis are fitted on your current setup, they would worry me, given the new pump you've linked to has the connections in different positions, you would need to alter the copper pipe to suit. The flexi's ideally need to be keep almost straight and mainly used to absorb any movement and/or vibration from the pump.

Yes, at least 2 of the pipes will probably need to change to fit the salamander pump you want to install.

The new flexi pipe fittings are pushfit ends, so the copper pipework will need the old couplers removed and pushfit couplers added for them to fit into.

That and you need to dump the left hand steel braided flexi pipes as they are not designed for pumps and shouldn't be there in the first place.

I see, makes a lot of sense when analysing the inlet/outlet of each pumps which I didn’t look at before so thanks for that!

Seems it might be more beneficial to purchase a different style of pump where the outlets are in similar positions!

Thank you both.

It is not used much to be honest so might opt for the Stuart Turner and hope for a straight swap without having to change the pipework etc

Can somebody advise as to what valve is open and what one is shut?

I assume that the right valve which is parallel to the pipe would be the open one?

Attachments

• 89E6C820-7E0D-4493-ABAC-4A06C3A1C3A4.jpeg
    89E6C820-7E0D-4493-ABAC-4A06C3A1C3A4.jpeg
    273.9 KB · Views: 256

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back