Shower pump location

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi experts

Can you tell me please if I can install a shower pump directly into the hot water supply pipe that is in the airing cupboard and connected to the loft vent pipe or must I fit a Surrey flange or similar. I am only looking at 1.5 bar guest bathroom use.

Also, can you tell me what is the most reliable make of pump we can fit.

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
The power shower pumps don't like air bubbles going through them as it can cause cavitation. When the water is heated in the cylinder, air bubbles rise up to the top and collect and travel up the vent pipe, so using water from there should be avoided. The Surrey / Essex flanges are one way. There are others. The diagram below shows another way by making the connection below the vent connection.

Another method is to slope the pipe that leaves the top of the cylinder upwards at 30 degrees or more to the vent pipe so that the air rises up freely, then 'tee' into the sloping part of the pipe dropping straight down into the pump inlet.

Regarding the pumps. Stuart Turner are generally seen as the top end of the market, but shower pumps are not rocket science, I've had experience of several and even the cheaper plastic ones have all been OK. Once you get used to the noise that is.

Go for a pump that doesn't have to be connected by a flange. Not all manufacturers inforce it. All the pumps I have come across that have problems have always been flanged, whereas ones I have fitted myself directly into the angled DHW pipe are still going strong with no problems.

You can connect any pump into the DHW pipe but some manufacturers say you invalidate your warranty.

No doubt others will disagree with me but that's just in my experience.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back