shower pump nightmare

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, first things first i had a concealed mixer shower installed and my shower pump did not kick in unless i dropped the shower head below the level of my tap heights. The bathroom installers were baffled, so they suggested uprating my shower pump which was a salamander 1.5 bar to a 3.0 bar to see if this solved it. Alas no it didn't, they got back to me after speaking to a plumber who suggested fitting a semi automatic negative head air switch. Now by my understanding if i have that fitted will i have to switch that on before i start a shower everytime?

Also should i have just bought a negative head shower pump instead of the positive one?

Sponsored Links
With a positive head pump, when the mixer is opened, some water must flow through the pump under its own pressure. This flow then operates the flow switches and starts the pump motor running. If there isn't any flow, then the pump motor won't run, regardless of the discharge pressure of the pump. Probably in your case when you drop the shower head down there is then sufficient pressure to get some water to flow and so the pump will start.

If there isn't a positive head present in order to provide some 'natural' flow, then a negative head pump would be required.

Have the same problem however by running the hot tap on the basin for 2 seconds before turning the shower on works until I get round to changing the pump.

You went wrong twice...
You bought a positive head pump when you needed a negative head/universal
You bought a Salamander. Stuart Turner are much better and similar money

If you fitted the conversion switch you would indeed need to press it every time you turned the shower on

Sponsored Links
dam I'm starting to feel sorry for you for having a salamander also they are really quiet aren't they :sneaky::ROFLMAO:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back