Shower Pump Problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Any ideas??

My husband installed a power shower last year which needed a pump to operate. after 3 months the cold water seal failed causing our loft to flood. This was disconnected returned to B&Q and they replaced with un upgraded model which is called shower force easy boost 2. 3 Months later the cold water seal failed again. This was exchanged in January and tonight exactly the same thing has happened. could there be a reason for this or do B&Q just sell badly made pumps. The cold water feed is teed off the cold water line and we can see no reason why this keeps leaking from exactly the same part, it is not the connections. It is from the gap between the end casing and the pump housing every time and always the cold end. I just cant see how we have been that unlucky to have bought 3 faulty pumps.

Sponsored Links
you haven't brought 3 faulty pumps you must have installed them wrong.
shower force are not the best but are still a good quality pump

you say the cold is teed of the cold water line.
do you mean the mains feed ?

Reply to seco services

Yes it is teed off the mains. Is this whats causing the problem??

If I read you right you have the cold mains connected directly to the pump.
The instructions will tell you not to do that. I'm surprised it lasted 5 minutes.
It's illegal too, by the way!

Sponsored Links
Pumps must be fitted from a feed from a storage cistern in the loft (cold) and from the cylinder (hot). There are a whole host of points to watch out for when fitting pumps and instructions need to be read carefully (usually before pump purchase to make sure you have correct pump). Funnily enough I just took a Turbo 2 out of a house and downloaded the instructions from the web out of interest: it states very early on NEVER CONNECT TO THE MAINS. As Seco said - it is illegal to connect any pump to the mains (and generally pointless as mains pressure is usually good enough for a shower).

Thankyou all for your comments, feel quite silly now but concerned that I'd asked a plumber after the first time and never told me it was wrong let alone illegal!.

The hot water feed is currently filled from the hot water cylinder and I will have the cold water feed fitted to the top up cistern in the loft is this correct?

I Best not give my husband a lecture on reading instructions!

Maybe I will leave the DIY to the professionals from now on.

Thankyou all again.

The hot water feed is currently filled from the hot water cylinder and I will have the cold water feed fitted to the top up cistern in the loft is this correct?

the cold water feed should be coming from it's own outlet from the base of the tank not connected to the pipe at the top which is supplying the ball valve. which fills the tank.

Thanks again, have downloaded instructions and am now clear on what I need to ask an expert to do! Wish I'd known about this site a few years ago as now coming to the end of finishing our house. Still the windows and outside to do yet so sure I will need some more assistance in the future. Sorry to Seco if I got you in trouble with the moderators.

Kay

you didn't get me in trouble its the cowboy advertising his bathroom store that was deleted for adverising.

drunk-irish-048.gif

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back